• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Manastash Ridge Trail - curious...

I recall the lost lake turnoff prior to the region meadows turn off heading tor wards the ridge. It dropped immediately as you turned off the main trail. Is that trail open or closed?

No, it's not the lost lake "loop" that's 4W307.1

EDIT: Here's where i think the trail we saw goes, the one in purple is where i think it is, or it is possibly the green trail, but we saw no official markings for either.

trail.jpg

Last edited:
The overlook trails. Both dead ends. Didnt seem like the "purple" one was that far from the "green" one though

The overlook trails. Both dead ends. Didnt seem like the "purple" one was that far from the "green" one though

ya, well, we must have missed the green one in the snow because the only other trail we saw was where the purple one supposedly would be and it headed downhill and fast.

trail

I was up there Saturday.
The blue trail does head downhill.

It also does run into a bunch of loose shale rock in a little open area on a downhill slope. By looking at the map, I would guess we turned around pretty close to the pink line/trail on your map.

We stopped there, turned around and went back.
A couple rigs past us, sounded like they were having some issue just past where we turned around...they ended up turning around and coming back.

A guy in a nice green runner with 2 stock roll bars and a spare tire attatched was the one who past us at the loose shale rock, then eneded up turning back around. He might know.

I was up there Saturday.
The blue trail does head downhill.

It also does run into a bunch of loose shale rock in a little open area on a downhill slope. By looking at the map, I would guess we turned around pretty close to the pink line/trail on your map.

We stopped there, turned around and went back.
A couple rigs past us, sounded like they were having some issue just past where we turned around...they ended up turning around and coming back.

A guy in a nice green runner with 2 stock roll bars and a spare tire attatched was the one who past us at the loose shale rock, then eneded up turning back around. He might know.

Where did you guys come in from?

EDIT:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-orv/maps/map-west-9.pdf

looking at that map above, it looks as though the green line is the 687 trail. But they show it a lot further away from the main junction on top where it it really is. We didnt drive up it due to snow and time, but it looked as though it would take you right to the end of manastash across the ridge.

It also shows a dashed line (ATV or dirtbike) trail linking to the end of the manastash trail....heading across the rocky saddle...:eeek:

Last edited:
It also shows a dashed line (ATV or dirtbike) trail linking to the end of the manastash trail....heading across the rocky saddle...:eeek:

Yup there is a bike(single track) trial across rocky saddle. I have hiked across a portion of it and its for experianced riders.

We came from Funny Rocks.

Took 694 trail, then it seemed to just merge into the 4W307. I dont recall any other trails, or at least what looked to be trails off the 4W307 before we turned around.

We came from Funny Rocks.

Took 694 trail, then it seemed to just merge into the 4W307. I dont recall any other trails, or at least what looked to be trails off the 4W307 before we turned around.

ya, im thinking that green trail is where 694 turns into 307, there's an obvious junction and the 4W687 trail goes up to the left with a smaller quad trail 687 just before that on the left that dives back down. The trail in question (purple line) would be if you continued straight on 307 as it starts to go down in elevation and the main trail then turns right and through a puddle and then starts gaining elevation again, the trail in question would be straight/left off the edge of the hill before that puddle.

I don't know if i'm making any sense. :mad:

The old 601 trail you guys refer to is the current 330 trail. The trail was closed years ago due to the steep hill you refer to. The Wandering Willys Jeep club through the PNW re-routed the trail around the closed area to reopen it somewhere close to 15 years ago now. I was part of that process.
I don't know of any trails out of Tripod flats and unless it's a marked trail don't run it. There were issues last year with people making illegal trails out of the meadow and the USFS is looking at options now with how to deal with people going off trail in the meadow. It's beyond me why people can't follow a simple two track through a meadow.

The 601 (downhill only) section was closed and put to bed many years ago. Three deaths on that section was the reason. The Wandering Willy's Jeep Club was contacted by the USFS to reroute the trail thru where it is now. Sometime around that time the boundrys of the FS Districts were corrected and the 600 #'ers were switched to 300 series which is the Cle Elums numbers. The 601 is now Pucker Ridge in the Rimrock area.

Everyone should note that an existing Travel Plan exist in the Manastash area (for over 15 years) of the Cle Elum District. No new trails may be constructed. No vehicles of any type may be off of designated trails ( you may pull off to allow others to pass 1 vehicle width only). Construction of a bypass is not allowed. Use of a bypass constructed by others is not allowed. To mention a few.

From time to time we repost the rules on the kiosk's at Riders camp and Manastash campgrounds. Next time I get near my folders with the Forest orders I'll post them and have them sticky'ed.

The 601 (downhill only) section was closed and put to bed many years ago. Three deaths on that section was the reason. The Wandering Willy's Jeep Club was contacted by the USFS to reroute the trail thru where it is now. Sometime around that time the boundrys of the FS Districts were corrected and the 600 #'ers were switched to 300 series which is the Cle Elums numbers. The 601 is now Pucker Ridge in the Rimrock area.

Everyone should note that an existing Travel Plan exist in the Manastash area (for over 15 years) of the Cle Elum District. No new trails may be constructed. No vehicles of any type may be off of designated trails ( you may pull off to allow others to pass 1 vehicle width only). Construction of a bypass is not allowed. Use of a bypass constructed by others is not allowed. To mention a few.

From time to time we repost the rules on the kiosk's at Riders camp and Manastash campgrounds. Next time I get near my folders with the Forest orders I'll post them and have them sticky'ed.

:cool::cool:

I knew of 2 guys who went ass over tea kettle but didn't know there were deaths associated with it.

That purple line looks like where you come down the ridge and make the hard right in the puddle, i have seen tracks in snow season going straight over that drop off and back into the trail at the bottom. It was never part of the trail but people started using it during snow season because they did not find the real trail. The green line looks to be the trail out to the look out over the saddle on the one side, there was never a trail off of that.

Oh, I thought the nasty drop-off and turn at the bottom was at the end of the manastash ridge...

Yes, you are correct. If you look at the map right at rocky saddle you will see a dashed line just to the west of it, about half way between the two cameras, that is where the drop off/old trail is.

That purple line looks like where you come down the ridge and make the hard right in the puddle, i have seen tracks in snow season going straight over that drop off and back into the trail at the bottom. It was never part of the trail but people started using it during snow season because they did not find the real trail. The green line looks to be the trail out to the look out over the saddle on the one side, there was never a trail off of that.

Ya, you know exactly the spot i'm talking about :awesomework: I could see losing the trail there if you didnt knwo where it actually was. I feel it'd be a crap shoot though to find the trail again once you dove off the edge there though. We saw ome BIG TSL tracks heading down in there...

Latest posts