• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Metal in the eye....not any more.

The worst is wearing a respirator and glasses while doing heavy grinding.

The metal dust collects on your nose and then the fan in the grinder or the wind blows it all up inside the glasses.

I tried for a while using a face shield over glasses and respirator but can't see crap as the face shield gets scratched and hazy so fast.

Now I have a fixed shade jackson helmet with the filter plate removed. Just keep the gasket and clear lens in it and it works great. Much cheaper and easier to replace the lens on it than the full clear face shield and doesn't get scratched as easy.

I've had success getting metal dust out of my eye moments after it happens with a paper towel over a magnet.

If it irritates me longer than a day, I know something is in it and immediately go to eye doc.

The worst is hearing the same crap from all the nurses about where were your safety glasses? On my face.

Eye doc held my eye open with clamp and used a syringe to "pluck" out the metal. Did it at home once since them. Crazy seeing a needle head toward your eye but better than leaving it in I guess. X300 on full face shield

Re: Re: Metal in the eye....not any more.

If I have a ton of grinding to do I wear this, if its a little glasses or face shield and glasses.
aa6038fea2af03fdcf174dce809123fa.jpg

^^^ About what I look like when grinding or drilling.

Get to an eye Dr. Once the rust starts your vision gets worse.
Dan99tj1 said:
I've got metal in my eye twice, the problem is it rusts. I went to an eye doc and he had to drill the rust out with what looked like a dremmel tool while you tried to hold your eye open. But that was 15 years ago, things may be different now,
Still the same ole dremel looking tool. That and some steroids and you'll be good to go in a week or so.

The other day I was cutting 3/16" aluminum buck rivets with an air hammer, one flew up and hit me in the cheek at 7,000,000 fps, bounced into my glasses and ricoched into my eye. It hit my cheek so hard, I didn't give a **** about my eye, I just knew it had cut to the white meat. But a trip to the bathroom revealed a red spot on my cheek and a small blood dot in the color part of my eye. **** still hurts.

went to the eye doc this past Friday to get something out of my eye as I could see it was stuck at the top edge of my pupil it had been in there since Wednesday and ended up being a piece of steel with a touch of rust get it taken care of even if don't have insurance or the money right now had a piece of chrome flake puncture my pupil 20 yrs ago and everything went blurry in that eye as the pupil filled up with fluid ended up doing surgery on it and they actually put a suture in my eye

Re: Metal in the eye....

LandSpeeder said:
You don't think posting on an offroad forum would be better??

JAYZUS! Go now! I've heard of folks waiting and the metal gets rusty. If I was positive that metal was in my eye, I'd drop my **** where it was sitting and go.

This is why I've stopped wearing only glasses when cutting/grinding... full face clear shield now. Lowes over by the lawn mowers.

I wear a full face shield grinding/cutting. Doesn't matter if it's a flappy wheel to touch up a corner or a cut off wheel I have glasses and a face shield. A guy I used to work with made fun of me for it until he had to go to the er to get a sliver of metal drilled out of his eye.

I still don't wear a face shield and fab for aliving.
I buy the glasses that hug tightest to my cheek, any other brand and my nose holds them up too far away and the ricochet action happens into eye. I get about one every year and a half. I have an eye doctor I like if my wife can't get it out. They will use a spud tool and pluck it out in about 2 minutes with some friendly banter and $30 cash

When you see a 6 inch metabo blade fly apart and half of it stick in your buddies face you will put the face shield and goggles back on. Even if you look at a grinder :****:

I had a small punch break apart on me, a 1 inch long piece of the punch was actually impaled in my eyeball and my natural reaction was to immediately pull it out. My eyeball bled everywhere. I went to the doctor and was extremely fortunate to not puncture the "globe" or whatever they call it. If it had been a few centimeters the other way I would have been blind in that eye. Pretty crazy how fast eyes heal. Even now, I find my dumbass not wearing safety glasses at times. This may be the other wake up call I need to wear them.

FlatlandFSJ said:
Yea. That's what i was afraid of. I hate the dam ER with a passion. Im actually not sure ifs its a piece of metal, or if its a chunk of grinder wheel. I guess either way Ill head up there in the morning, just cant stand sitting in a hospital with a buncha sick people.
No one hates Dr. Or dentist worse than me! Recently I had a piece in the colored part of my purdy eyes , for about 5 days. I ain't gonna lie man ,, it was Prob stupid. BUT it didn't hurt or irritate me at all. And I listen to a buddy of mine which was really ****ing stupid, considering.. BUT it finally came out. Thank the good lord. No kiddin, after the third day I was starting to hit the panic button. The finally I woke up one Mornin and it was gone. I got lucky I think. Sometimes I'm still catching myself being lazy, and instantly go get safety glasses.. Or for a lot of cutting I have a 3M face shield. I'm not playin that game anymore. Scary **** man!!
Almost as scary as when I had the wire brush on a grinder, squatted down, and one of the bristles flew off about the same rate of speed as 5 brothers had, and stuck in my right nut!!! :****: or so I thught. Thank the man again! I had carnhart over alls, Dickie shorts and boxers.. I was wiggin out. Come to find out it just barley pokin the ole nut. Man talkin about scared!!b just ain't worth it. And it's so easy to prevent losing Ur eyes! Good luck man.

Jpyke15 said:
When you see a 6 inch metabo blade fly apart and half of it stick in your buddies face you will put the face shield and goggles back on. Even if you look at a grinder :****:
do people not use the full factory guard on their metabo? I don't think I've found a spot yet where I couldn't make it work. it is clockable with your thumb.
I've also not had a metabo blade shatter on my 14-150 6". I've seen shitloads of them blow up on 4" grinders used as a cutoff machine. buy a 6" metabo slicer and keep it that only. problem solved. Also buy good blades.
I think this is the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-WE14-150-600160420-6-Inch-Grinder/dp/B001CBXF44/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1430161337&sr=1-1&keywords=metabo+we14-150
It is the ****ing ****. Period. I scream and run when I see a cutoff wheel on a regular grinder especially with no guard.

kushKrawlin said:
No one hates Dr. Or dentist worse than me! Recently I had a piece in the colored part of my purdy eyes , for about 5 days. I ain't gonna lie man ,, it was Prob stupid. BUT it didn't hurt or irritate me at all. And I listen to a buddy of mine which was really ****ing stupid, considering.. BUT it finally came out. Thank the good lord. No kiddin, after the third day I was starting to hit the panic button. The finally I woke up one Mornin and it was gone. I got lucky I think. Sometimes I'm still catching myself being lazy, and instantly go get safety glasses.. Or for a lot of cutting I have a 3M face shield. I'm not playin that game anymore. Scary **** man!!
Almost as scary as when I had the wire brush on a grinder, squatted down, and one of the bristles flew off about the same rate of speed as 5 brothers had, and stuck in my right nut!!! :****: or so I thught. Thank the man again! I had carnhart over alls, Dickie shorts and boxers.. I was wiggin out. Come to find out it just barley pokin the ole nut. Man talkin about scared!!b just ain't worth it. And it's so easy to prevent losing Ur eyes! Good luck man.

Wire wheels are another thing in this world I HATE. Had one come apart on me and picked metal slivers out of my arm for 2 damn days. that **** sucked ass too.