• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

metal roofing

Are you going to install it over an existing roof? I would go with the standing seam 19" panels that do not have exposed fastners for a clean look and don't have the possibility of leaking rubber washers down the road. I'll get you some pics of what I'm talking about when I get home.

I've done a few. It's fairly simple. Most suppliers will do a take off for you if you have a drawing. The standing seam looks better, but the continous rib is alot easier to install and cheaper. I don't really think one is better than the other. Both are only as good as the installer.

The only way they warranty it is if you replace the screws evey few years. Witch sucks

on residential, go with standing seam, clean looking with less maintenance

mine has got the exposed screws and no problems yet but i haven't had it that long. I have the galvaloom, not the painted the painted ones are bad to fade.

this may be a long way from the truth but i heard that a metal roof causes higher ins rates b/c fireman cant axe thru in case of fire.

got one on my house. insurance didnt change a bit and 30 or 40 yr warranty on the color (cant remember right now) plus a $1500 tax credit

The only way they warranty it is if you replace the screws evey few years. Witch sucks

you have got to be kidding
The maunufacture will warranty the painted part of the metal and rust on the metal, but it has to installed correctly. The problem with the screws is when air gets under them like in an exposed ceiling of a barn. It pushes against the metal and loosens the screws. On a house or a roof without the bottom of the metal exposed this is highly unlikely, because the air cant get under the metal. I have never replaced screws or even heard that you had to. I believe metal is a good product as long as the installation is correct. I myself have had great success with the ones i've installed not leaking. I have fixed way more shingle roofs that leaked than metal.

techtafab said:
you have got to be kidding ???
thats what they told me cause i was going to put one on my log house when i was building it. my dad owns a contractor business, and he dont do to many of them. but i do think they look a whole lot better

I think where he is saying you have to be kidding is most people do standing seam, hidden fasteners, and then you can't GET to the screws. NO leaks either when properly installed. Insurance around here goes DOWN when you do these roofs. They are more up front because skilled people put them on and they are made of metal, and it is about to skyrocket. The upside is no hail damage (insurance loves this, around her at least) and no replacement cost if you don't have hail pay for a new roof. Having to replace without ins helping sucks. I'm praying for hail :woody:

Look up Decra, its a metal roof that looks like shingles and has a 50yr warranty. It also wont fade as it has ceramic gravel on it in multiple colors.

Here's some pictures of a shed I built in the backyard using the standing seam panels. The panels have triangulations in the middle which are optional. Make sure that your supplier has all the trim you need bent up plus a little extra. My buddy that does this has a machine that he can bring onsite and roll these panels to any length that you need. When you do have an exposed fastner, use painted stainless poprivets and use Geocell where you need sealant.

shed014.jpg

shed015.jpg

shed016.jpg

shed017.jpg