• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Miles and reliability?

boxboy

can I be your friend...
How many miles are on your tow rig and how reliable is it still?

Have you needed to perform major/minor repairs directly related to usage or will you be needing to make repairs to have the confidence to tow a long distance?

What is high miles these days and do you think High miles makes a rig unreliable?

Last edited:
98 dodge cummins 190,000 and runs killer. Had a rotten fuel line when I bought it, the old owner thought the injection pump was going bad.

I have put another 10K on it without fixing the fuel line (I just park it backed up the hill overnight, thanks bomber board) cuz it doesnt give me probs unless its parked on flat ground for two days or more.

Great truck, easy cold starts etc. With my big trailer loaded up I can drive right through the converter so before I venture further than oregone I am going to rebuild the tranny (expected before 200K anyways).

I woould recomend an older 12 valve to anyone if it has been cared for.

2nd gen 12 valves definitely last long. 1st gen 12 valves last even longer.. LivinEz on the Bomber board had 612k miles on his 97 dually that towed at 20-27k 3 times a week it's whole life. I can't remember all he went through during that time. One head gasket, couple clutches, a water pump. Really not much. It was slightly modified to be in the low 300 rwhp range. He sold it to a friend and it has over 700k on it now. Maintenance is what keeps em running! Can't beat a 12 valve when you take care of it.

I beat the crap outta mine, so my mileage doesn't count. :booo:. Opie is even worse then me. 130k and his 01 cummins was just done. But it was a test mule for many many performance parts.

2001 dodge cummins - 123k (bought september 08 with 101k)

ive replace both wheel bearing hub assemblies, front end feels a little sloppy so ball joints will be next. other than that i havent had to do anything with it. once i get the money saved up im gonna get an auto trans built for it so i dont need to worry about pulling a steep grade with 10k+ in tow. though the heaviest i have pulled/hauled is close to 15k towed with about 3k in the bed. still passing people on I-5 :haha:

high miles? ask white trash, he knows what a high miles cummins is. honestly i think a truck wont even be broke in until atleast 200k. hell most the pickups at my work (consist mainly of powerjokes) are well over 300k.

99 F350 Dually 7.3L PSD. It has 142K on it now. The only things I have replaced is the ball joints, and the unit bearings (they were not bad, just decided to replace them before they did go bad.) The UVC connector gave me issues in Oct. Other than that, its been a great truck. :redneck:

99 CTD Dodge 2500 with 106k miles on it. I did the brakes, 1 wheel bearing, caliper, and a heater core. Other than that very relaliable.

2000 F250 7.3 221,000 other then the standard consumables and oil chances it has been very reliable. I have changed the water pump when I first got the truck and a couple brake jobs since I have3 owned it but it has been a good truck.

'87 F-350, 6.9, T-19, ATS Turbo installed by the dealer prior to delivery, 263,000. Had the Injection Pump and injectors replaced at about 50K when they reformulated to LSD. Replaced the vacuum pump about 10,000 miles ago. I really need to pull the tranny and rebuild it, it's starting to walk out of first.

If you replace wear parts as appropriate, I don't think 500,000 is unreasonable.

1990 GMC 2500, J code 6.2 replaced by a reman 6.5 and gale banks turbo at 135K by P.O. 195K on the rest of chassis. Just did a water pump, did brakes shortly after i bought it 2 years ago. Alternator last year. Fixin to do pitman and idler if it ever stops raining. All Normal wearable stuff.

Other than the turbo i have no performance mods and I drive like grampa so she should last a while. I did buy a 18 year old truck (at the time) and I expected to have to change some stuff as they came close to there normal service life.

at what miles does it seem people are having to rebuild there Diffs or in trannies/t-case? i know it all depends on driving habbits but just wondering if theres some kind of general milage. im tossing and turning between two trucks, ones a 97 12v nv4500 4x w/170k i know i could get for 7grand or a 98 24v 4x auto w/ 90k on it for around 10.5grand.
just worried about picking up a truck that the trans or diffs would need to be gone through.

at what miles does it seem people are having to rebuild there Diffs or in trannies/t-case? i know it all depends on driving habbits but just wondering if theres some kind of general milage. im tossing and turning between two trucks, ones a 97 12v nv4500 4x w/170k i know i could get for 7grand or a 98 24v 4x auto w/ 90k on it for around 10.5grand.
just worried about picking up a truck that the trans or diffs would need to be gone through.
12v all the way, that NV4500 will out last the 47RE

I have a 1990 12v, odometer broke at 218k (I bought it like that) so who knows how many miles are one it. I service it once every six months and I drive it every day and do some occational towing with it.

95 Ram, 208K has been at 300hp for the last 60K. Just for fun I did head studs, head gasket, injectors, and a turbo:redneck: Never any real issue other than the standard maintenance crap. You rig will only be as reliable as you maintain it to be.

Isn't it the NV 4500 that the fifth gear nut always wants to come off?

Well yeah, but you still have the first 4:fawkdancesmiley: Not all were screwed, just a vast majority. I upgraded mine when I did the clutch, it was fine but I went ahead and did it anyway. There are a ton of little quirks in every rig, the key is to find them before they are an issue. Kinda like buying a Ram instead of a ford:fawkdancesmiley:

For some reason NV used a certain kind of lock tight on a number of trucks for the 5th gear nut. It is almost impossible to get the dang thing off.. I broke a half inch breaker bar trying to get mine off to fix it.. Finally said screw it and just left it on there.. That thing aint coming off..

For some reason NV used a certain kind of lock tight on a number of trucks for the 5th gear nut. It is almost impossible to get the dang thing off.. I broke a half inch breaker bar trying to get mine off to fix it.. Finally said screw it and just left it on there.. That thing aint coming off..

It's red or simillar Locktight. Use heat and it will come right off.

Latest posts