• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mini buggy

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So lets say you got a wild hair and decided you wanted to build a mini buggy---something bigger than an oddesy but smaller than a full sized rig. Now lets say the whole idea of the rig was to do it as cheap as possable--but in such a way the parts used could be easily upgraded down the road..

What would you use :stirpot:

So lets say you got a wild hair and decided you wanted to build a mini buggy---something bigger than an oddesy but smaller than a full sized rig. Now lets say the whole idea of the rig was to do it as cheap as possable--but in such a way the parts used could be easily upgraded down the road..

Um er... me thinks Crash has too much time on his hands....

Shouldn't he be working on something?

But the thought process has been put into gear. Start with something like a Fiero drive line? I don't think I would use the rest of the body. It would cut down on the 4x4 future build, but the location of the engine would help in traction.

Kinda like the 6 Shoota as featured in Crawl in the last issue? Seems about what your talkin about.

Um er... me thinks Crash has too much time on his hands....

Shouldn't he be working on something?

But the thought process has been put into gear. Start with something like a Fiero drive line? I don't think I would use the rest of the body. It would cut down on the 4x4 future build, but the location of the engine would help in traction.

Time on my hands---I wish,lol..

Full Zuk drivetrain, geo or sidekick motor, 33's, under 1500lbs, load it in the bed of you're pickup, I already figured one out.

Kinda like the 6 Shoota as featured in Crawl in the last issue? Seems about what your talkin about.

The mag is sitting on my desk--will have to thumb thru it.

This is more for the sake of a discussion--I already have my own thoughts in my head :awesomework: and will put them to use this winter :;

It would be cool to basically take a Sami, throw the powertrain into a little tube buddy, maybe run some 12" Kings c/o's front and rear, on 35's. :D

Full Zuk drivetrain, geo or sidekick motor, 33's, under 1500lbs, load it in the bed of you're pickup, I already figured one out.

See darius knows what I am yappin about....

Whole point is something light---something that could be built from parts that areent used--or used for long--and something that can be had for cheap...

See darius knows what I am yappin about....

Whole point is something light---something that could be built from parts that areent used--or used for long--and something that can be had for cheap...

That's pretty much what I was thinking too, just didn't know what direction you were going with it.

Remember the thread on Pirate where the guy in Isreal (IIRC) built a goofy looking buggy out of a Honda drivetrain and I think Toyota axles? Pretty good idea. Single seat and tiny. He just welded the Honda diff and mounted the whole mess sideways. The half shafts became the drive lines. You wouldn't get a spectacular crawl ratio, but usable if you went low in the diffs and ran 33's or something.

The 6shoota (Graeme from 4LF, OR) is a full on moon buggy. Not cheap, not that light (way over 2K lbs.) and not easy to do.

JC has been thinking about this for years...

The six shooter weighs like 3200 lbs IIRC. At least that's how it felt at the end of my winch.:haha:

If I were doing this I would research motorcycle powerplants/ trans........If you build light you can have a lighter cage too and lighter axles...........

I think the whole idea is ridiculous actually.

It's like you have your heart set on a boat but you settle for a jetski...

Or you want a single seat moon buggy and build a 4 runner instead...

The bottom line is that you are going to take light weight, light duty parts and wad them up on the trail...

...which then just turns into more debris at the Rock Garden and another trip to the drop box in Sultan.

Which then leads you to building something stronger...

It's called evolution...it is suppose to lead you forwards...not backwards.