• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

more HP in SBC on propane.. What works for YOU???

bamfyj

Should i build the propane fueled engine like I would a gas fueled engine? or is there any difference? :dunno:

Biggest thing I've seen with propane is that they love compression,higher compression always seem to burn it better and make alot more power

Elliott said:
Biggest thing I've seen with propane is that they love compression,higher compression always seem to burn it better and make alot more power

True, it's not that they make more power than a gas engine, they just do it cheaper... At the price of convenient fill-ups BUT that may not be a problem for you..

My tow motor tanks cost me 20 bucks to fill up, that can run a healthy v8 for most of a day

TURNEROFFROAD said:
True, it's not that they make more power than a gas engine, they just do it cheaper... At the price of convenient fill-ups BUT that may not be a problem for you..

Actually propane does produce marginally more power than gasoline per unit of weight, but the real advantage is the ability to run more compression and timing without detonation. If you were building an engine specifically for propane, you'd want to build higher compression, and probably more lift on the cam due to the propane being less dense. The only real disadvantage that I can think of is just inconvenience of refilling tanks.

Latest posts