• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

motors

rock mafia said:
What late model ford v8 makes any easy 400 hp, is small , and has tons of aftermarket support?

Wait,there's not one.

what about a mustang 5.0? not saying it is... just wondering what is yalls take on using one of these motors for our sport.

I think a 5.3 or 6.0 is the way to go. LS motors are sexy but they cost more and require a new pan to keep it oiled. All depends on budget really. A 5.3 can be had for cheap but with a few mods it will cost you about what a stock 6.0 will.

I run a 5.7 and did cam, flash and headers a while back and it was a whole new rig. Wish I had a 5.3 or 6.0, but it is what it is

Im happy with my 6.0 with LS1 intake and LS1 Cam. I liek the LS1 cam because it lets it Rev a little higher. Also with the Kevco pan I have never seen below 30psi and I was at some crazy angles on Mine JB saturday.

xjkrawler said:
what about a mustang 5.0? not saying it is... just wondering what is yalls take on using one of these motors for our sport.

5.0's are ok, but have not been made since the late 90's, not so easy to find low milage take outs. They are pretty low on torque stock.

draggbody said:
and you still got your ass handed to you by a girl w/ a 305 in the mud drags.... :****:

:flipgotcha: how quick we forget " she's a girl, take it easy" , then that thang had a damn big block in it

I'm still partial to the old school small block Chevrolet's. Plenty of room to bore and stroke them with lots of aftermarket horsepower support from the BIg parts houses. Can't beat a Big Al small block. :****: Not sure what mine is producing, but I know the rest of my junk is already screaming, "HELP". :driving: molaugh

I think motors are like women! There are different strokes for different folks! :cougar: My favorite is any Chevy engine that will make big tourque numbers and ample horsepower. So many people forget that it is the tourque that keeps the tires turning under load and not nessissarily the horsepower. That is why you see 5.3's, and stock 350's bog down so easy. There is just not enough touque to keep big tire and big drivelines turning.
Depending on the budget, it is hard to beat a custom built motor that will produce somewhere around 500ft/ lbs of tourqure and at least 400hp. For simplicity and affordability though, it is hard not to just go with a 6.0. Very proven and a great platform to make changes to in the future.

P.S. I have had the following engines in different Jeeps over the last ten years! :****:
Stock 350- carburated
Stock 454-TBI
Vortec 454- with cam upgrade
Built 454 with Ram Jet 502 induction
Ram Jet 502
LT-1 with cam upgrade
Ram Jet 350
4.0 inline six
4.2 inline six
Built 383
After making that list, I wish I still had all those Jeeps sitting in my garage! :'(

Jeepnron said:
I think motors are like women! There are different strokes for different folks! :cougar:

Then, would you like to trade the single seater for the :cougar: for a day of riding, and we'll compare notes!!!! :flipoff1: