• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

my brakes suck!

pgpdnarc

I have a full size blazer frame S-10 cab truck, 454, 350 turbo, 203, 60 / 14 bolt, 44's.. I ran the factory S-10 brake booster and master cylinder for a while and it worked great. The down side was if my truck died on a hill, my brakes wouldn't work and I would roll to the bottom. I finally up graded to the corvett master cylinder, then my brakes really sucked. It would not stop for crap. The brake petal was so hard, you could hardly mash it. I then figured that is was because i still had drum brakes, so i went and spent all the money and put disc brakes on the rear. And then my brakes still sucked, no change. I then thought I might have a bad master cylinder, so i went and bought another. And then my brakes still sucked.

P was by the shop the other day, so I asked him. He said that my petal didn't have any play in it and i might should shorten the push rod. Well, last weekend i took it apart and pull the push rod out. I shorten the rod enough to give the petal a little bit of play at the very top. And then my brakes still sucked, no change. My brakes suck so bad, that if you are going down a steep hill, you can put all your weight on the petal and it still want stop. My brakes SUCK. Anybody got any good advise???????????????????????????????? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Things to look at
Enough vacunm running to brake booster.
Maybe a proportioning valve
clogged lines
I would get start at the master cylinder. make sure your engaging the piston to pump fluid. Sometime s the oring inside the master cylinder can get messes up and prevent the piston or fluid from working correctly inside the master cylinder. Other than that go back to your original setup or flint stone that bitch.

Just a guess from a braking moron but doesn't it seem like the bore on the master cylinder is too large? If pgpdnarc can press hard on brakes and not stop the wheels then perhaps the smaller bore would give you a greater hydraulic advantage. Also, the fact that there is no play (very little stroke) is another clue that the master cylinder isn't properly matched to the calipers.

Having said that, with enough vacuum on the booster I would think it could compensate for a large bore master cylinder. Still, a smaller master cylinder is my first guess. Can you get whatever came stock with those calipers? Or maybe you can at least get the spec on what you need.

pgpdnarc said:
I have a full size blazer frame S-10 cab truck, 454, 350 turbo, 203, 60 / 14 bolt, 44's.. I ran the factory S-10 brake booster and master cylinder for a while and it worked great. The down side was if my truck died on a hill, my brakes wouldn't work and I would roll to the bottom. I finally up graded to the corvett master cylinder, then my brakes really sucked. It would not stop for crap. The brake petal was so hard, you could hardly mash it. I then figured that is was because i still had drum brakes, so i went and spent all the money and put disc brakes on the rear. And then my brakes still sucked, no change. I then thought I might have a bad master cylinder, so i went and bought another. And then my brakes still sucked.

P was by the shop the other day, so I asked him. He said that my petal didn't have any play in it and i might should shorten the push rod. Well, last weekend i took it apart and pull the push rod out. I shorten the rod enough to give the petal a little bit of play at the very top. And then my brakes still sucked, no change. My brakes suck so bad, that if you are going down a steep hill, you can put all your weight on the petal and it still want stop. My brakes SUCK. Anybody got any good advise???????????????????????????????? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

You shortened it a bit.. Did you look to see if the master cylinder is stroking completely ?? That was the biggest issue we had when I swapped to the corvette master cylinder on B's Heep. Make sure your push rod and pedal are allowing the master to complete its full travel.

Things to look at
Enough vacunm running to brake booster. - kid rok

Having said that, with enough vacuum on the booster I would think it could compensate for a large bore master cylinder. Still, a smaller master cylinder is my first guess. Can you get whatever came stock with those calipers? Or maybe you can at least get the spec on what you need.
- vanguard

sorry I dont know how to do to the quote thing. I dont have a brake booster, just the manual master cylinder. I know that manual master cylinders are harder to mash than power brakes, but mine just aint right for some reason. thanks,