• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

my toyota has a clunk. Need help

toyodaaddict

Hey guys. I posted about this on pirate. Im at a complete loss so im posting here to. my 84 toyota has a really nasty clunk going on. Its a DD and does not get wheeled. It bangs shifting from N-1-2-3 when letting the clutch out. The higher the rpm's the harder it bangs. This has been going on for about a year. I think it started when I put the chevy springs on but im not sure.

I put the rear on jacks and with the tires off the ground, it bangs just letting the clutch out from idle.
I cheched the motor mounts and the driver side was about ripped off so I replaced it. The Tcase mount didnt look great so I replaced that. The u joints are all fine and fairly new. Ubolts are tight. I pulled the rear driveshaft, the stake nuts are tight. I rechecked the ujoints. With driveshaft REMOVED the truck does NOT clunk when letting the cluch out.

84 short bed
4.88 gears, open
33's
chevy rears minus overload
bolt on fronts
high angle cv rear shaft
other than that its stock.

I dont know if this means anything but the rear pinion flange rotates about 1/2'' before meeting the gears. the front flange rotates more than 1'' I compared this to a 5.29 diff in my other rig that Odie set up. It only rotates 1/8'' if that. does this mean something ? is that my problem ?

Yeah sounds like your on the right track. If that rear end has a half inch of backlash that's way too much. I would pull your third out and check it out I think you found your problem there and it's super easy to pull out too! If not that I would say u-joints but you said you already checked them and it doesn't have a carrier bearing on the driveline does it? If it does I would check that as well.:awesomework:

Years ago I had a similar complaint that finally resolved itself to being loose u-bolts on the rear springs.

Latest posts