• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mystery D60 Brake Conversion

mtnride

Hey guys, I'm trying to put together a disc brake conversion for my rear D60. The PO said the axle was out of a CUCV but I can't confirm that. Either the housing numbers are painted over or ground off, looks to be ground off. What I do know is its a semi floater dana 60 and the PO gave me a pair of conversion brackets. I'm wondering what y'alls advice is on where I should go from here. Should I buy a pair of rotors at the local parts store? If so, which should I start with and which calipers should I try to find? Any input would be appreciated.

Not really a expert here by any means, but I didn't know they put Dana 60 in the rears? Thought all GM stuff, 3/4 ton-1ton had 14 bolts

Maybe I mis understood. I could swear that was what was told to me. Anyways, it's a semi floater d60. What from? Not sure.

Must be a ole Dodge rear end, I think they are about the only ones that used them in rears. I bet if you took some pics and posted them, somebody would know for sure what it was.

it doesn't have 70hd 70u or 70b stamped in the housing by the pinion does it?

Re:

Why not make it a full float? Ruffstuff sales a flange for 3 different tube sizes that welds to the housing. Take a front spindle and bolt to it, and then run a doubled spline shaft.

Something else, If the OP told you it was a CUCV axle then I would be pissed because those 14 bolt come with a locker in them.

Toddy said:
Isn't a semi floating 60 30 spline? If so go 14 bolt and be done.
most semi floating 60s are 35 spline that I have found.
zukimaster said:
Not really a expert here by any means, but I didn't know they put Dana 60 in the rears? Thought all GM stuff, 3/4 ton-1ton had 14 bolts
gm put 70s in some dully rear trucks

Guys. Let's stay on point. I'm not changing the axle. The rig goes just fine and holds up. It's a semi float 60. I plan to do disc brakes. Any input for that application would be great.

49e70efec20bfb6a5737f33211215322.jpg
f347cc29c4892f3147e122a099738cee.jpg

Re:

Looks identical to the rear axle we used to run in our race truck. C clip axle shafts? We used weld on brackets for a ford 9 inch and the chevy 3/4 ton rotor with a willwood caliper.

Drew Pate
Cordova Al

Re: Re: Mystery D60 Brake Conversion

mtnride said:
Guys. Let's stay on point. I'm not changing the axle. The rig goes just fine and holds up. It's a semi float 60. I plan to do disc brakes. Any input for that application would be great.

Why disc brakes?

Those drums don't look all that heavy? (Like the ones you'd see on a FF 14b or 70)

We used 84 3/4 ton front rotors and calipers, drilled out the holes for bigger and longer lugs and it worked great 6 years and counting....but you need to check your application. Mount the brackets and test fit everything. With pads and all,
They say you can use the Cadillac eldorado rear calipers for the park break, but a real pain in the ass, don't

Re:

86tank said:
Looks identical to the rear axle we used to run in our race truck. C clip axle shafts? We used weld on brackets for a ford 9 inch and the chevy 3/4 ton rotor with a willwood caliper.

Drew Pate
Cordova Al

Don't know if it will work for your rotor size But I use GM calipers and race car weld on brackets, and 6 lug gm rotors on my toyota. works well at low budget and get everything at autozone ex. race car brackets are 20$ a set .