• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need a little insight on coil over shocks

coony278

I have decided to update my rig a lttile , it is already linked in the rear. I just to add either a coil over or a air shock ? Which would you recomend and why ?

The front still has leaf srpings. I want to link it but cant decide if I should triangulate the front or should I put a pan hard bar on it and 3 link it? And which shocks or coil overs do I use.

I also still drive this jeep on the road sometimes and want to keep it that way.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

Here is pic of the beast

jeep018_zps0ed39515.jpg

Re: Re: Need a little insight on coil over shocks

bearslayer2829 said:
Glad you started this cause I'm in the same boat except with a Toyota.

Maybe we both can learn something ;D

It looks like the rear is linked using springs similar to a rear Jeep TJ spring. You could just add a pair of 14" coilovers to the rear. I like Fox coilovers not because they are any better than other but because of the price vs performance. You get a quality shock with dual rate hardware right out of the box for a reasonable price. Reservoirs are not really needed unless you will be pushing the shocks hard for a long period of time like racing.
The only shock I would avoid is FOA. Many people have had bad issues and often struggle to get them resolved.

What if....you left the rear like it is, if it works good, and linked the front using a set of coilovers. You end up linked front and rear for a big overall upgrade.
Air shocks will work fine in the rear as well. Just be prepared for them to require a good bit of tuning to get them to perform good.

I would not advise 2.0 air shocks for the front of your Jeep. I ran mine with them for a while with a V8 and it is just too much weight for a 2.0 Fox. 2.5 airshocks in the front would have been a lot better.

The back does have spings like a TJ ( coils) and works pretty dang good. The back shocks are just tired and thought while I was doing it I might just change over to a air shock or coil over.

But your suggestion does make sense , I could replace the rear shocks and be good to go for a long time for a low price.

Also I have been looking and the back 4 link on my rig has the Jonnie Joint on all 8 ends of the links. I hate them. They are a poor design imo with the snap ring.

Wont a 3/4 heim be more than plenty for a link end. Info on the 3/4 rod end says it will hold 14,000 lbs of radial force.

TBItoy said:
are your Johnny Joints weld on type?

Most of them have 1-1/4" threads IIRC

Mine are threaded, I dont like them cause of the snap ring. triangluated against a snap ring is not a good idea. If you put them in a bind you pop a snap ring almost every time, and they are pain to reassemble on the trail.

Heim joint could be replaced in a few minutes and no special tools.

The jonnie joints dont always pop a snap ring but they will do it often.

I went with coilovers on a similar setup to yours. I looked at air shocks and felt like I'd be on the higher end of their capacity rating. 2.5" air shocks would have been a little better in that regard, but then I was really close to the price of the coilovers.

I have zero complaints on my Radflo 2.0 coilovers. Everything has worked great from day 1 and I'm coming up on 2 years running them now. When I eventually link the front I'll be getting the same ones again.

*edit* Forgot about joints
I'm running 1-1/4" Trail gear creeper joints on the lowers and 7/8" heims on the uppers. I don't care for the creeper joints as the body of the joint is too wide and limits misalignment. I got them dirt cheap from a buddy that wasn't able to run them. They haven't caused me any problems, but when they start to go I'll just swap to 1-1/4" heims on the lowers as well. For the front suspension, my choice for triangulated or 3link will hinge on if I want to keep my steering box or swap to full hydro. I'm leaning towards a 3link/panhard in my mind currently. If I go that route it will use 1-1/4 heims all around, upper and lower, and probably 7/8 for the panhard.

Re: Re: Re: Need a little insight on coil over shocks

coony278 said:
Mine are threaded, I dont like them cause of the snap ring. triangluated against a snap ring is not a good idea. If you put them in a bind you pop a snap ring almost every time, and they are pain to reassemble on the trail.

Heim joint could be replaced in a few minutes and no special tools.

The jonnie joints dont always pop a snap ring but they will do it often.

You could get 1-1/4" heims and most places sell reducing bushing misalignment spacers that are the same width and bolt size as a Johnny joint.

then you'd never have to worry about joints again

I have looked at summit and speedway and cant find a heim bigger than a 3/4" I have to be just missing them somehow on there sight

coony278 said:
Thanks for the link to ruff stuff they have a lot of what Iam looking for booyang
FYI, they just posted a 20% off everything code for mother's day. code - MOTHER

Latest posts