• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need a shop in Muscle Shoals, Tuscumbia, Sheffield that can do a rear diff

customcj7

My pops is in Muscle Shoals and has a beat to hell truck that he uses just for short hauls around the plant and to haul a dump trailer up the muddy road at the landfill down the road. This is an old 98 Dodge 1500 (2wd) truck. We put in a lunchbox locker a few years ago to help with the traction and it has done fine. Well it sounds like they have been beating the piss out of it by overloading the trailer and then just matting the gas when it starts to spin which has all but fried the lunchbox locker. The thing can barely move before it just spins freely.

My suggestion to him to be a cheap and solid fix was just to spool the damn thing and be done. He doesn't want to put a $500 locker in it as the truck isn't worth $500.

It doesn't see the road, and probably won't last much longer anyways. Only downside is with the **** mud tires and hauling a trailer I could see him snapping an axle shaft with the spool.

Anyone in that area that knows of a good 4x4 shop or a place that he can get that done? Cheap being the key word. He can't do it himself and I don't live there.

I would rebuild the lunchbox locker. Probable only springs and pins. May can be done without removing the carrier. And rock out, been working for a few years.

Yeah I thought about that, but as I'm not there, and was only there this weekend for a little bit I really couldn't dig into it. And he doesn't want to do it. He's getting older and just doesn't want to try and crawl under a truck these days.

If I can get someone to put new springs and pins I'm all for it, but when I took a turn and gave it a little gas, it slipped hard (while making the worst grinding noise), and then slamming into engaged. If there are any teeth left on that sucker I'll be amazed.

Try and contact Josh Rohling (Rohlingoffroad on here) at 256-810-5008. He can do it at his shop (Rohling Diesel Repair) if he can get to it will be the issue. He is within 5 miles of Muscle Shoals.