• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need help testing this wench motor.

AW10

This came on a trailer I bought but I can't get it to work. Every video on YouTube has a name brand winch with 4 screws on it. This one was only wired up with 2. It has 4 screws on the end but I'm not sure if all 4 are for wires or 2 of them hold it together. Hooked jumper cables up to it both ways but it never moved.

8000 lbs. No idea what brand.

20131222_140640_zps5352d6ba.jpg

20131222_140937_zpsc64b3976.jpg

I had a winch motor with the same problem. Ended up the glue holding the magnets to the casing let go and wouldn't allow the armature to spin. Auto elec repair place fixed it for $60.

It's a harbor freight winch old style . Your missing the control box ..

The two Terminals ones hot ones ground .

It's probley dead

Here's a pic on my 10,000 pound
100_7722.jpg

100_7721.jpg

I have the control box but when I use it it just clicks. Wanted to test the motor some how before I buy a new box. I figured seeing how it only has 2 wires the control box just reverses the polarity to make it go in and out, so if I hook power up to it it should spin one way or the other right???

AW10 said:
I have the control box but when I use it it just clicks. Wanted to test the motor some how before I buy a new box. I figured seeing how it only has 2 wires the control box just reverses the polarity to make it go in and out, so if I hook power up to it it should spin one way or the other right???

I would think .

AW10 said:

I would think one lug would be in, and the other out. If there is not a third lug for the ground, then it probably grounds through the mounting bolts. So, I would try one to the frame and one to a lug.

JohnG - After reading what you said I grounded on one of the bolts and didn't get spark from either of the terminals but I could get a spark off the metal cable. Seems like the terminals are insulated from the casing. Looking like this is going in the scrap pile.

Re: Re: Need help testing this wench motor.

I had that same winch. Solenoid sounds stuck. Mine did it 8 out of 10 times

Be money ahead to buy the smittybuilt winch for $299 than throwing more money at this one. Ive owned about 6 smittybuilts and they are well worth the $$$$$$