• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need knowledgable opinions....

Those heads will def give you some gains. Along with a decent cam. Finding a set a good deal to keep it cheap on ya. The last few sets I've done we did springs, valve job and shaved them down, use the thinest gasket you can buy, give you a bit more compression. Some of those engines were real low. I've hurt some feelings with a vortec headed engine, but the tbi is only only gonna flow so much for ya also.

I would just keep ur $ deal with the tbi for a while keep saving and buy a 5.3 0r 6.0 but if ur dead set on hp gains I wld do heads cam and intake, simple and less headache. Just my 2 cents

If you go with heads and cam you will also have to do some computer mods also. My plan is to swap to a cheap set of pro comp aluminum heads($600) install a cam, intake and swap to propane. No more computer or electronics to mess with

I looked into doin the 5.3/6.0 swap but i would have to change fuel system, headers, have harness cut down, buy engine, install cam...etc. it was gona be about $4000-5000 after all was said and done. I can have a healthy small block using my tbi short block for half that and dont have to mess with electronics. They scare me on a trail rig where you are hours away from camp on a trail. And if it doesnt run....its gona be hard to steer full hydro all the way out. I wanna keep it simple and as electronic free as possible

highrolrcustoms said:
If you go with heads and cam you will also have to do some computer mods also. My plan is to swap to a cheap set of pro comp aluminum heads($600) install a cam, intake and swap to propane. No more computer or electronics to mess with
highrolrcustoms said:
I looked into doin the 5.3/6.0 swap but i would have to change fuel system, headers, have harness cut down, buy engine, install cam...etc. it was gona be about $4000-5000 after all was said and done. I can have a healthy small block using my tbi short block for half that and dont have to mess with electronics. They scare me on a trail rig where you are hours away from camp on a trail. And if it doesnt run....its gona be hard to steer full hydro all the way out. I wanna keep it simple and as electronic free as possible
All of this! You have the most commonly used motor on the planet. There are millions or drag strip fags that have perfectly good parts for sale for half the cost of new. Lose the TBI, swap intakes and run propane then get whatever cam and heads you want off craigslist or racerjunk.

I have the same motor but I'm already running propane. Would like a little more woopow myself and I think whenever I am ready for it ill just build my motor to the 325 horse limit of the propane. I would like to have 400 horses but I imagine 325 after being used to whatever the stock motor puts out will suit me just fine for awhile.

I would like to see someone put a cam in a propane motor that was designed for a restrictor plate motor, it would be basically the same style setup, by that I mean a motor that was starving for more air. Im not sure what they change on those grinds but they obviously have something figured out for nascar to have such good luck with those engines.

Elliott said:
I would like to see someone put a cam in a propane motor that was designed for a restrictor plate motor, it would be basically the same style setup, by that I mean a motor that was starving for more air. Im not sure what they change on those grinds but they obviously have something figured out for nascar to have such good luck with those engines.

all you have to do is call Crane or comp cams and they will custom grind you a cam for propane or they have a few they recommend. I called them last week and they recommend me a Comp Cam Xtreme Energy 4x4 cam for propane.

I agree with Elliott. Main drawback to factory TBI setup's is the head's just don't flow enough to produce big hp numbers. I've heard a lot of good things about swapping to vortec heads.

Eddyj said:
Is there any improvements on the bottom end from a old school sbc to vortec?

Cleaner oil passages and they have a cam retaining plate from the factory, and the vortecs use hydraulic rollers.IMO a lot better building platform.I know a lot of people might say that the old blocks might have better material, but we have never split a block using nitrous and blowers yet.But that's not saying you wouldn't split one if you pushed it to hard.

Vortec heads, comp xtreme4x4 cam, and use a 454 throtlle body.

That combo makes good power and won't break the bank. Even without the 454 TBI, it pulls hard out of the hole.

Holler at custompowr here on hardline for advise. He doesn't say much on here. He is a race engine builder here in knoxville. He has forgotten more about making power in small block Chevys than most will ever know. He spends everyday building 900+ hp small blocks. Hell of a nice guy. He will help u any way he can. He has built motors for people as big as Scott bloomquist and many other big name super late model racers. Advise is free!! Also you may want to inquire about the 5.3 he is assembling right now.

Really glad I started this discussion....lot of good info!! Thanks again guys!!
Now I need to go dig up some money somewhere... :dblthumb:
Think I'll start lookin' at some parts and prices. ;D

Got a gm performance parts vortec to tbi intake and vortec heads on a tbi bottom end. wrecked the truck and it got rained in so the bottom end is locked up. Pm if interested. All was brand new in 06 with maybe 10,000 on it. Wrecked in 08 and all i did was cruise the town in it and scratch off. Never ran hot or busted mud holes with this z.

Was a dime in her time!

Latest posts