• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some help picking a new truck

Well Im a ford guy for sure but im kinda weary of the newer ones, my dad bought one brand new about a year ago (2010 or 2011 year model) , anyways at 11,000 miles the tranny had a come apart on him, ford fixed it under warranty of course ( said it had something to do with some sort of vaccum in the tranny ) :dunno: . . . . Just something to think about . . His is a 1/2 ton 4wd with the new 5.0 and the automatic 6spd tranny

wont work said:
For that price range I would go 06-08 duramax

The new ford motors are nice and so are the trucks but I dont think you will find one in that price range

Cummings will run forever but the truck will fall apart.....

Totally disagree...my 03 dodge 3500 has 277k miles....cleaned up in and out its held up fine.

First off have you described what you plan to use the truck for? I breezed through the posts but didn't catch your intended use. Will you be towing seldomly, often, or even at all? Daily driven truck or only driven when truck is being needed?

From you saying you run your 2wd v6 to death, and the $$$ you say you're prepared to spend, my vote would be on a newer body style GM 1/2 ton (chevy or GMC) 07+. Those 5.3's are stought for a half ton v8 and I've heard the resale value be mentioned about a Tundra, I don't think a Tundra would hold resale value better than the newer GM half tons personally. There's way more GM half tons on the road than Tundras meaning more people seek after that truck. Best all around truck in my opinion if you don't need to do alot of heavy hauling. My friend has a 07 new body style ext cab Z71 and used to pull his lifted Cherokee on 38's on a 16ft trailer with no trailer brakes back and forth to the trail all the time before he sold the jeep. Pulled and stopped it fine. If I ever sell my 2006 GMC 2500HD 6.0L gasser, I'll most likely be in the market for an 07+ GM Z71. Just my $0.02.

....but if you plan on hauling heavy **** alot, then an 06+ D-max would probably be better suited.

I have a 09 Chevy 2500HD LTZ z71 package and I absolutely love the truck! I wanna say it was in the mid 30s I cant remember! Had 50k miles on it when I got it!

Put 3" leveling keys and 315s on it and it gets 15-17 driving back and forth to work with some interstate and some mild stop and go traffic. Averages 18-19 on highway at exactly 70 more than that it sucks it back to 15 or so

you may can get a good deal on a new half ton chevy pretty soon,seen on the news that gm was cutting back production to 50% for the first quarter of 2013 because they have too much inventory on lots that aint selling now

I had an 07 1/2 ton Chevy before I traded for the Dmax I have now. Also at the same time I had a buggy that weighed around 4,000 pounds and it hated life towing it. It could be 30 degrees outside and me baby it and the tranny would get around 200 degrees. On a hot day I wouldn't even turn the temp gauge on. It was a nice truck and very comfy. Also got around 20 mpg and would have kept it if it would have towed halfway good. I had a 93 suburban that towed better than it

wont work said:
I had an 07 1/2 ton Chevy before I traded for the Dmax I have now. Also at the same time I had a buggy that weighed around 4,000 pounds and it hated life towing it. It could be 30 degrees outside and me baby it and the tranny would get around 200 degrees. On a hot day I wouldn't even turn the temp gauge on. It was a nice truck and very comfy. Also got around 20 mpg and would have kept it if it would have towed halfway good. I had a 93 suburban that towed better than it

This! I had a 08 1/2 ton GMC that I used I pull my old Jeep and heavy trailer with sometime with the RZR and jeep on it and yes it hated life havin to pull that or our camper, but pulled the RZR by itself OK! It also had 2.5 leveling kit and 295s on it

I might be a little biased as you can see by my screenname. But if I was gonna buy a truck for all around use it would be an 04.5-07 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd with the 5.9 and 6-speed manual. But you have to watch and make sure its an 04.5 not an 04 and make sure an 07 is not an 07.5 w/6.7 cummins. A good place to look at them for sale and to find out alot of info is cumminsforum.com

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Just traded a 2007 king ranch f150 in on a 2012 f150 with the ecoboost V6. It pulls 10 times better than the 5.4 in the King Ranch and gets great fuel mileage. I was blown away with the power from the ecoboost, it makes the new 302s feel like a joke. They are also twin turbo.

TacomaJD said:
Doesn't look a whole lot different to me, about as much difference as they made during the transition from 02 to 03 in the full size truck series....but still looks badass to me! They should've picked a different color than burgundy for the showcase unveil pic though molaugh

I retract that statement, I saw a video clip of a new one and it looks substantially different. Same body contour, but lines are alot sharper....I like it :dblthumb:

Re: Re: Need some help picking a new truck

I love my 08 f250. I have an intake, exhaust, and Hs tuner on my 6.4. Its a beast of a truck. I paid mid 30's for a crew cab, leather, fx4, with 39k. Its like a freaking sports car with the tuner and twin turbos. Fun as hell. I have never had a diesel before this and they are awesome. There is so much room in there and not to mention it can pull what you need. I have no concern over stopping safely or the truck not being able to handle the load. That's something to consider for those that ride with you and other random people on the road.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I like the new body style Chevy came out with.

Thank you all for your input. I believe I am going to go for the Duramax. I am afraid if i go with a half ton i will always want something that hauls and tows better. I don't drive my truck everyday and when i do there always something being towed or hauled. I am looking for a work horse of a truck. Now I just have to find one.

I have noticed not very many people mentioned the f150s. I expected that truck to be brought up a little more for some reason.

Thanks again.

I drive an 07 f150 cc 4x4 I tow my buggy with it and drive back and forth to work it gets about 12 mpg in town and 9-10 towing you have to drive it when it's loaded down prepare for hills before you get to them I've had two of these trucks and two f250's 02 and 03 7.3's yes they tow better but the extra fuel cost and less manuverability I like my current truck better all around! :dunno:

RAYRAY said:
I have noticed not very many people mentioned the f150s. I expected that truck to be brought up a little more for some reason.

Thanks again.

Bc alot of ppl prolly didn't even know about the truck til this thread molaugh I didn't...then I saw a commercial on it last night. I don't have time to watch much tv during the week though, so I prolly missed it when it first started airing.

The F-150s with ECOBOOST are nice and very powerful just has the sound of a v6 when you get into it, but if you can get past that they are awesome! I was a pen wiggle away from buying one before I decided to get a diesel and found the truck I have now :driving:

you probably couldnt go wrong with a tundra,hell it will pull a 300,000 pound space shuttle molaugh,but cant see paying that much for one,i was at toyota dealer yesterday having a recall done on my wifes car,seen a 2x4 max crew or what ever they called it,it was fairly loaded but the window sticker was $47,200 :wtflol: