• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Never ending Samurai build...

Yesterday it started the first time with the turbo setup hooked up. Friday night I got the holes drilled in the carbs and plenum for the boost reference for the float bowls. I'd premade 8 bubble flared brake fittings for the nipples. I used Marine epoxy to mount them. When I stared it, I'd forgotten to hook up the boost reference to the FPR though so it wasn't happy with boost and I was out of time. Today I plan to piss off the neighborhood with wooshing noises...
ae187f03bf32f7e5d2fe5ffb889607a7.jpg
27c1df67e41074d775259ddd3168af5f.jpg
36e034726285c4227069ad43eca34747.jpg
e73eb9979d5e00a6ef9c58cd2c765afe.jpg
44ae07d96eee9ed2e80f2f7a59161833.jpg
a1a409a6e6923fac2ba4356d194d2084.jpg
ad16fa6e985c5573ae62fff013396f11.jpg
a15cd09d28cece10402351eab017e551.jpg
924382aec697ee14cf00561676353085.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've got a head scratcher I could use some help figuring out. There was nothing "wrong" with the way my engine ran before I started swapping to this new setup. It'd smoke a little on long decel engine braking but that's about it.

Now that I've gotten it running and left it idling for longer periods and even driven it around the block a time or two I've got steam coming from the valve cover vent hose. See video below. There's nothing visible coming from the exhaust idling, accelerating, decelerating, etc. I checked compression (engine wasnt hot) and got 121, 115, 115, 121. Nothing really stands out to me there. I also pulled the intake completely back off the engine to inspect how the gasket between the manifold and head were sealing...nothing obvious there either. The engine starts easy when hot or cold, runs smooth, and maintains temperature as it should with the fan cycling on at 190* and dropping it to 180* like it should.

The only difference in the cooling system is I'm running a 180 thermostat whereas I had no thermostat with the previous setup.

July 8, 2018(1)

If you have been cranking it and letting it just idle for a few times, it's just probably condensation burning off, I would drive the **** out of it and get it good and hot and see what happens.

When running, do you notice any compression in the cooling system?

It looked like those 600 carbs had a tee in the vent between each carb pair already?

zukimaster said:
If you have been cranking it and letting it just idle for a few times, it's just probably condensation burning off, I would drive the **** out of it and get it good and hot and see what happens.

I'm thinking I like this idea the best. Fingers crossed...

paradisepwoffrd said:
When running, do you notice any compression in the cooling system?

It looked like those 600 carbs had a tee in the vent between each carb pair already?

Yes...those tees are just a slip fit...no way theyd hold boost...and the lip they slide up over is fairly short with nothing to help hold the boot if I used zip ties or something like that.

In the process of checking in on the health of the motor I ran a leakdown test on it and found that most were in the 20-35% range based on my Harbor Freight gauge. That's a lot, but still in the "good/acceptable" range on the gauge. I did this test to confirm whether or not I had a head gasket or other leak into the cooling system. After using the gauges I hooked 60psi of shop air to each cylinder and listened for where the leak was going. All of it in each cylinder was going directly to crankcase...so I know my rings are where the wear is at. This is slightly puzzling though since my rig really doesn't smoke much. It'll do it under engine braking or on its side, but not just running around. Anywho...that's that.

One of the things that I knew I would need to do is come up with a way to secure the plenum to the carbs so that when the butterfly's shut when I left off the gas under boost it doesn't blow the plenum off the front of the carbs. Fastspec2 had used a turnbuckle type setup to tighten it down, but my plenum ended up pretty close to the face of the carbs so that was going to be more difficult. What I decided to do was pick up some 4.5" hose clamps and put them around the plenum and the spacers between the carbs. So far it's working good.

That got me back on track to tune things. As ya'll have seen I'd set it up with nipples in the plenum and the carbs to boost reference the float bowls. I wasn't sure how well that was going to work since I was so use to a pitot tube type setup with the Harley carb. So what I did was hook up my old pitot tube to some hose and split it off to each carb. Previously with the 210 jets and the nipples I was seeing it get really rich under boost and start bucking under power. Since I'd been trying to sort things out and had set them up with 160 mains to try things NA I decided to give them a shot and see where that put me for AFR's. To my surprise things worked pretty good...still a little rich though. So I put a set of stock jets in which are 115. Under boost the thing has plenty of power...it's pretty substantial compared to the Harley setup I had before.

It's got a slight delay on initial throttle application that I need to work on though. After talking to Fastspec2 again I believe I'll hook the nipples up again and work my way back up in jet size to see where that gets me. I may end up needing to adjust the float heights too. Most of what I remember reading in older threads said that they needed the floats set to be level with the edge of the bowls. At this point mine are angled below the edges which has me wondering if I'm overloading the needles.

Are you getting your info on motorcycle sites or some other place? I've only got a 2.0l now, but the individual carbs have always intrigued me... so much that I have thought about putting some on a v8.

paradisepwoffrd said:
Are you getting your info on motorcycle sites or some other place? I've only got a 2.0l now, but the individual carbs have always intrigued me... so much that I have thought about putting some on a v8.

A lot of the turbo information I've read about on bike forums, but most of the general carb information I've found in threads on zukikrawlers and pirate. What would be really fun is to ditch the carbs and run individual throttle bodies like the newer bikes. Set them up with a turbo and run micro or megasquirt. Based on internet folklore I'd probably do that on a 1.3 bottom end with a 1.6 head since "they say" the 1.6 8v bottom end just cant handle boost...I call bullshit on that to a certain extent though. The cool thing about the ITB's is a lot of them are capable of being spaced to fit whatever head you're running.

Please do strap some to a V8...especially one set up to rev quickly. It'd be a really interesting setup and would probably make a lot of people scratch their heads.

easleycrawler said:
Any updates on this thing

Maybe...

scooter60 said:
X2

I was expecting to see a few pics of this thing from this past weekend at the Poker Run.

I didn't end up going Scooter. When it came down to it, the distance, cost involved, and the event only being one day I just couldn't make myself do it this year.

That...and I might have had something else on my mind...

So this happened...

I found a good deal on this 2000 Chevy Tracker with the 2.0. It's 4wd with auto trans and only has 133k on it. It had been sitting for 3-4 years though so it looked really rough and smells like a wet dog inside.

d4bad35eff910e532ca779ad020dac82.jpg

I spent some time at the car wash and it cleaned up pretty good. The next step was to get it running. After testing it with some propane to verify it would run I pulled the tank and cleaned it and replaced the fuel filter. She ran good on the few hot laps around the neighborhood.

98a70df80371c4d6db6adc3c75f4942c.jpg

f946f2b5e126caa234e10356159fe1b3.jpg

The next weekend I went junkyard hopping and picked up another complete engine harness along with all of the sensors and 4 coil packs...$25 :woot: I also picked up another tubular exhaust manifold while I was out since the one on the Tracker had cracked and been booger welded back together.

29cc8b63a5cfa5de04ac4bd25a5c6120.jpg

The next weekend I spent a few hours yanking the drivetrain out...wasn't too bad. The engine harness on these is very well made and comes out in one package.

6ea5b303acd3c42f5ad546c222adb7f1.jpg

I like to be able to keep an eye on things so I picked up this Autometer 2267 adapter to mount a fuel pressure gauge on the rail.

bf34f6e62fd10c7214cf7e6653f389a3.jpg

0f9fb8271b3f3d5b9faf48bf5a7f8e4f.jpg

This past weekend was awesome. I had already taken Friday off to go to the Poker Run so I got started early pulling the interior harness from the Tracker and a few other misc. parts.

c60315cd3b969ba830214f8d00fac4de.jpg

db4f981c2c6faabb72e1d8407330269f.jpg

Fuel pressure gauge, terminals, rear main seal, crimper (new favorite tool), butt splices, and timing chain kit.

1ba35eb021b238d1db869b12c61ca9f3.jpg

4d84df59d35528eacf7d357c6e734d91.jpg

As I was putting it back together after the timing chain I went to install the idler pulley and as soon as the nut snugged up the stud came off. I never like having a steel fastener stuck in an aluminum. :gtfo: It looks like it was bad before I ever touched it judging by the coloring of the material.

dfc1a4fcb500efe96ea2242a34ad0c06.jpg

c5b55d4a0135c7e16e047dbd2e902f81.jpg

Got it all buttoned up and installed a new belt. I had to build a custom mount for the TC steering pump. Pic for reference on the serpentine belt.

962449c211d8713a6e76fce094f1e902.jpg

33069a9df221f57ea6cd76e2156173d6.jpg

594bf932a4841008575cd6aef23bab30.jpg

The ol' 1.6 8v has been laid to rest...

29a3839411581c6e95643aa93a398d91.jpg

98ff43114e2b7460ed0d244d61218178.jpg

So at this point what's left? I need to relocate the steering orbital because it interfered with the water outlet on this motor. I need to relocate the PSC steering reservoir to the passenger side since the pump is now on that side. That also means I've got to redo the hydraulic lines too. I've ordered a new radiator and inline filler since the 3 row Civic radiator I was running won't fit either. I've also got to redo the front upper link mounts at the axle to space them out so they'll clear the oil pan at full bump. Finally...finish wiring.

I've been asked a few times why I chose to make the swap. Here's my thought process. This motor is rated at just north of 130hp and my 1.6 8v was rated at 80hp or so when it was new then add the turbo pushing 7psi. Guesstimation leaves me with an estimated 120hp at full boost on a really good day. The problem is that all that power is only available at full boost...which I'm rarely hitting. So really and truly I was relying on the base 80hp most of the time. The 2.0 should be a pretty noticeable improvement in just about every aspect and it's only 40lbs heavier than the stock 1.6 8v. It's also quite a bit lighter and smaller than a 2rz/3rz for comparison.

WOW :eek: :eek:

Not what I was expecting at all. Gonna be looking forward to see how it does. Do you think you will make the Hardline Ride?

scooter60 said:
WOW :eek: :eek:

Not what I was expecting at all. Gonna be looking forward to see how it does. Do you think you will make the Hardline Ride?

Hell yes he's going to Harlan. He's probably going the 22nd to our local park for some testing, I've got to get some run time on my yota as well, before Harlan.