• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Newb Jeep Q's

CarnationSensation

Details of vehicle: 91 Jeep 4.0L 5 speed. Compleetly stock.

Im a yota guy and have no knowledge of the jeep aftermarket world.

What is a quick, cheap way of lifting a YJ just to clear 33's. This thing will see old forest roads but nothing even close to a "trail". The Girlfreind dont want to beat it, just drive it when its nice out and when she goes shootin.

So whats my best bet? Shackles? Springs? Ive looked into the SOA setup and thats a little extremem for what she needs/wants.

What you got? How do you like it? Hows it ride?

Thanks for you input.

shackles are the cheapest way, and since it wont be seeing "trails" i would not worry about having lots of tire clearance ect. ect. just get a little lift and shove those tires under it. Then proceed to drive and drive.

Goodluck :awesomework:

shackles are the cheapest way, and since it wont be seeing "trails" i would not worry about having lots of tire clearance ect. ect. just get a little lift and shove those tires under it. Then proceed to drive and drive.

Goodluck :awesomework:

This is what i was thinking.

What size shackles do you think i would need to clear 33's? Im not sure what size is on it now, maybe a 29 or 30...

An inch longer shackle will only give it about 1/2" of lift am I correct?

2" add a leafs and maybe a 1" bodylift. both real easy to do.

^^ This

I personally am not a huge fan of 'shackle lifts', since you generally only get about 50% of the added shackle length as 'lift'.

and if you want to use just shackles to aquire the amount of lift you need, you will have these god awful length (and imo ugly) shackles.

The downside to extra long shackles is the extra leverage and stress that is then applied to the frame area which the shackles mount.

Granted, as stated, this is not going to be any hard core wheeler, but even mild logging roads can induce enough suspension flex to allow potential damage.

all of my jeeps have been suspension lift, with no more than a 1" body lift if needed...

just my .02

This is what i was thinking.

What size shackles do you think i would need to clear 33's? Im not sure what size is on it now, maybe a 29 or 30...

An inch longer shackle will only give it about 1/2" of lift am I correct?

Shackle lifts suck out loud. They screw up the caster angle, making the Jeep more susceptable to bump steer, death wobble, and reduce the return to center. If you are planning on doing it for a girlfriend new to 4x4's, it's a good way to scare her away for good. You can fit 31's with no lift. 1" body lift and add a leaf is a much better way to get to 33's.

Just do 2 1/2" lift springs, it'll fit the 33's fine, there inexpensive lifts :awesomework:

Changing anything from stock to NOT is going to be a can of worms, he asked for the cheapest way and shackles are it, not the best performance be it but if the girlfriend doesn't like her "lifted" jeep they can be removed fairly quickly. Don't throw a bunch of money into a lift, IMO i would focus on some good tires, bad 33's are worse then a good set of 31's......

Changing anything from stock to NOT is going to be a can of worms, he asked for the cheapest way and shackles are it, not the best performance be it but if the girlfriend doesn't like her "lifted" jeep they can be removed fairly quickly. Don't throw a bunch of money into a lift, IMO i would focus on some good tires, bad 33's are worse then a good set of 31's......
As much as I hate to use the phrase "ALL", or "NONE", it is blatently apparent to me, that ALL YJs that still have OEM leaf springs have sagged so drastically, that the OEM fender flairs rub on stock 29" tall tires.

With that typed, it is almost a given fact, that replacement springs are a needed item.

Yes, you could get some really tall shackels, and lift the vehicle. However it would have a goofy look, still ride like ****, have a poor tire caster, and still, probably not fit 33s.

And if you don't like the rig, after the fact, selling a 'stock' YJ, with a mild springs lift is much easier, and more lucrative, than selling it 'stock'.

As much as I hate to use the phrase "ALL", or "NONE", it is blatently apparent to me, that ALL YJs that still have OEM leaf springs have sagged so drastically, that the OEM fender flairs rub on stock 29" tall tires.

This is true... Springs can be spendy though....but the choice is up to him.

When you get it done throw up some pocs :awesomework:

Definitely go with springs over shackles. That said, I have a set of four brand new lift shackles sitting in my garage. Those will cost you free if you want to see if they blow your skirt up.

Superlifts are cheap, Rancho is cheap, you'll be much happier with the lift springs than shackles and body lift, if you stay under 4" you won't have slip yoke problems

cheap isnt the greatest thing either.

When i first bought my YJ i bought a Rough Country 4" leaf spring lift kit and after it settled down and was all said and done it didnt even compare to my buddys 4" Skyjacker kit on his CJ7. It seriously looked like i only gained 2.5-3" of lift. And yes, even with the stupid tcase drop brackets, I had slip yoke issues.

You get what you pay for with alot of those cheaper end out of the box packages.

I agree with alot of the other posts where stick with a 2.5" setup (Old Man Emu or Skyjacker) and shackles maybe. If you still wanna run a decent sized meat just clearance the fenders with TJ Flares

I've ran superlift for yrs, there a good product and cheap, Rancho ages really well and is cheap buy rides like ****, skyjacker is good buy a little pricey imo. If he goes 2 1/2 shouldn't have a slip yoke issue, only time I see slip yoke issues is on wheelers with 4" kits

Latest posts