• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Odd hub question:

Little Red Zuk

So this weekend at Moses, had to pull the F250 out onto the dunes to rescue a stuck Chev. Then the 4wd started to act up.

I would start going forward, and have the driveline spin, but no front wheel movement.

Then in reverse, the front end would spin, and help move the truck.

So after jacking it up, it acts like one hub was shot, where with the truck in gear in 4wd and hubs locked, I could freely spin the drivers tire forward but not backwards. I've never seen a hub fail to where it would only work in reverse, and not at all in forward:eeek:

Has anyone seen this happen when a hub craps out?

And this also means that the Power-Lock will probably come out, and a locker in. And yes, I did end up having to back up about 1/4 mile until I was sure I'd be ok in 2wd:haha:

I know that on older ford's with automatic hubs, the front axle had a vacuum actuator like the dana 30's on wranglers, I believe if it goes out or is not working it will still spin the other front tire in 4wd. Just an idea

So this weekend at Moses, had to pull the F250 out onto the dunes to rescue a stuck Chev. Then the 4wd started to act up.

I would start going forward, and have the driveline spin, but no front wheel movement.

Then in reverse, the front end would spin, and help move the truck.

So after jacking it up, it acts like one hub was shot, where with the truck in gear in 4wd and hubs locked, I could freely spin the drivers tire forward but not backwards. I've never seen a hub fail to where it would only work in reverse, and not at all in forward:eeek:

Has anyone seen this happen when a hub craps out?

And this also means that the Power-Lock will probably come out, and a locker in. And yes, I did end up having to back up about 1/4 mile until I was sure I'd be ok in 2wd:haha:

When I grenaded my hub on the hangover run this year--it would work in reverse but not forward---odd...