• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Phenolic VS Steel Brake Caliper pistons

ftoy516

NOT PART OF THE HERD!
North Georgia where people still believe in FREEDO
Brake Caliper Pistons? STEEL or Phenolic? Anyone on here had issues with the brake calipers on a TJ,YJ,XJ,MJ, JUNK "J" BLAH BLAH .....

So i have owned a Jeep TJ since early 2000's and over the years i have had a number of brake issues with it....when it first started i did what anyone would do and started replacing parts one at a time...(new calipers, new braided brake line, new booster, New proportioning valve, rear disc swap using ZJ parts, and at that time i replaced everything except the hard lines.

This jeep has a mild lift on 33's and is just something i street drive and wheel for weekend fun, nothing to extreme, i have a buggy for that. It does sit for awhile sometimes because it drinks gas like a fat kid drinking MOUNTAIN DEW, I know that not driving it on a regular basis does not help brake issues on these Jeeps. But the brakes aren't that great anyway. I have often thought about the WJ brake swap, but i hate to throw big money at the front end on this because swaping a better axle always seemed like the better solution to me.

Wondering if anyone here has changed from Phenolic pistons to Steel pistons due to sticking caliper pistons and had success in doing it.

Thanks guys