• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

I think I'd do a 60x40 red iron (40x40 + 20' front overhang), insulated, 10 or 12' side walls, frame in a 10x30 storage room on the side with 7.5' ceiling and use the "roof" of the storage room as mezzanine storage.

Probably not necessary for your use, but
I'd center a 12' wide door on the front and put a 2 post lift in the back-center of the shop, I'd also put a 10' wide roll up door in front of the lift (center rear wall) and pour about a 20x20 pad out back to do "dirty" work on (heavy grinding/torching/sand blasting/pressure washing)

TBItoy said:
I think I'd do a 60x40 red iron (40x40 + 20' front overhang), insulated, 10 or 12' side walls, frame in a 10x30 storage room on the side with 7.5' ceiling and use the "roof" of the storage room as mezzanine storage.

Probably not necessary for your use, but
I'd center a 12' wide door on the front and put a 2 post lift in the back-center of the shop, I'd also put a 10' wide roll up door in front of the lift (center rear wall) and pour about a 20x20 pad out back to do "dirty" work on (heavy grinding/torching/sand blasting/pressure washing)

You nailed what I planned to do with her storage room. unless I did a 30 deep x 50 wide, then I'd just frame in a partition between shop area and storage room. But yeah I had intended on framing up her storage room where I could store stuff on top of it if needed, but really not interested in a "functional" mezzanine over any of my part of the shop. As for concrete pad out back, I am only going to put one man door in the back of the shop and will later either pour a concrete patio or build a covered wooden deck on the back of it overlooking the pasture.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is this: Ideally, I'd do a 40' wide building with 3 10' wide doors, one in the middle 10x10, on each side 8x10, to keep it proportional. The left door will be hers. But I can't give her just 10' of width bc there'll be roughly 2.5' of metal on the corner of front wall, then a 10' door, so she'd be getting something like 13' which would cut the width of my side down to 27'. There's some different ideas I've had about this as well, but I'm not 100% sure on design just yet. If we went wide, like a 50 wide by 30 deep, I could do an 8x8 door on far left, then 2 10x10 doors centered in the middle, and man door on the far right, all on front wall, then partition off and give her something like 13-14'x30 for storage.

Her little storage room really throws a kink in my desired design. Lol. I'm still toying around and drawing out different designs to try and achieve what will best suit our needs and be cost efficient.

Yog could do it either way, but for her storage room, you could save some $$ by not concreting it and doing wood floor. Might help pay for the bigger space.

I would be tempted to do a 40x40 or 40x30 with leanto off each side and front overhang. Make 1 leanto the storage area.

Why not build her a separate storage building for her stuff and have the shop for everything you want? Probably can get a 10x20 storage building then 30x40 shop for less than or similar money as the 40x40.

The front overhang is a must have in my opinion. Being able to keep the doors up in the hardest of rains, and keeping the direct sunlight out of the shop is worth every cent. Took this picture a week or two ago during one of our afternoon thunderstorms.

3f290678b9db367efc3282a70fc170c4.jpg

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

paradisepwoffrd said:
Yog could do it either way, but for her storage room, you could save some $$ by not concreting it and doing wood floor. Might help pay for the bigger space.

I would be tempted to do a 40x40 or 40x30 with leanto off each side and front overhang. Make 1 leanto the storage area.
The 30x40 with a 10-12' lean to enclosed was my original plan for the design, but after talking with the builder, it seemed that way was a little more expensive than just building one uniformly shaped 40x40. But the difference being a couple grand would probably amount to what I'd spend on materials, nail gun, staple gun, etc to frame up an inside room.

It's like each time I think I've figured out exactly what I want, just a few minutes later I think of one factor that is a negative of doing it that certain way and begin pondering other designs/sizes. Lol
untchabl said:
Why not build her a separate storage building for her stuff and have the shop for everything you want? Probably can get a 10x20 storage building then 30x40 shop for less than or similar money as the 40x40.
You can buy a 10x20 storage building with a loft and full wood floor prefabbed for $4k delivered. I got a ballpark figure of around $26k for a 40x40 shop for everything turnkey including concrete, except for the dirt work. So 1/4 of that is $6500 (for the 1/4 of the total sq ft she would be getting of the shop). She has been very adamant about not having a separate building and I agree bc it would stand out and look tacky. She is wanting something with "front door access", like back up and unload stuff from the driveway, otherwise we could put a storage building behind the shop out of sight (mostly), but I still dont want to go the storage building route.

For now, I'm giving the 30x50 a lot of thought. I could put her an 8x8 door on far left side of front wall, then not even fawk with building a room and just build a floor to ceiling partition, or even get the builder to do a simple partition out of metal. Wood would be good though, to hang **** on, as most my tools and work bench would be placed against that wall/partition.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JD if you allot her 1/4 of the shop, she will take at least a third and it will continue to hold more **** over the years. She is better off with her own building.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

mdo817 said:
JD if you allot her 1/4 of the shop, she will take at least a third and it will continue to hold more **** over the years. She is better off with her own building.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She will have her own building essentially, it will just be inside the shop. Her part and my part will be clearly divided, she gets to have most the attached garage (still may keep my bike in there), and there is also attic storage over the garage if she needs that too.

Re:

I have been very clear about "my part of the shop is MY shop."

Also, had rather build the shop big enough for her too due to the fact that a 40x40 (or whatever we end up building) will appreciate entirely. If we ever sold the place, we'd get our money back out of the shop plus some. Whereas a separate storage building would look tacky and likely decrease in value.

Found this badass 30x50 on Garage Journal. That is one sweet ass shop! Pretty much what I'm looking for and how I would have the doors laid out too. I am much more interested in this size now after finding this.

e1ae6f2854249b89ee51495824ab3bf1.jpg

88e6f99607c124f01e8e9a3f5194d2e7.jpg

fafd453eb8c92320609df14071533b14.jpg

dc87e5166101ad01c9a47ddc0d5990e2.jpg

f61e948d6de978ec4b4ffab993135050.jpg

7b9d4db1cf6530a5000cbf67f477a1b9.jpg

b72a18efa659a04a9baf030d7c53b4d6.jpg

e732241c62a46a113301e04cc98b2d02.jpg

Jduck said:
The front overhang is a must have in my opinion. Being able to keep the doors up in the hardest of rains, and keeping the direct sunlight out of the shop is worth every cent. Took this picture a week or two ago during one of our afternoon thunderstorms.

3f290678b9db367efc3282a70fc170c4.jpg

This!!!! I'm so glad I done the 20' on the front of my new one uncovered I have been out in it with it pouring rain with door open and no rain blow in, I love it!

How do most of yall with 12' or higher ceilings go about changing your light bulbs or fixtures if they go out? Extension ladder leaned against a perlin? Tall A-shaped free standing ladder? Tractor bucket? Rent a scissor lift? Something else?

Above a certain height, ladders creep me out. molaugh :****:

A friend of mine built a 30x40x14 steel building and instead of hanging lights from the roof, he put 4' flourescsents on both side walls about 10' high. Really didn't like the way that was, it was like it was too bright because you always seemed to be glancing up and staring at the lights directly.

TacomaJD said:
How do most of yall with 12' or higher ceilings go about changing your light bulbs or fixtures if they go out? Extension ladder leaned against a perlin? Tall A-shaped free standing ladder? Tractor bucket? Rent a scissor lift? Something else?

Above a certain height, ladders creep me out. molaugh :****:

A friend of mine built a 30x40x14 steel building and instead of hanging lights from the roof, he put 4' flourescsents on both side walls about 10' high. Really didn't like the way that was, it was like it was too bright because you always seemed to be glancing up and staring at the lights directly.

8' A frame in back of lifted truck...

Kubotaorange76 said:
8' A frame in back of lifted truck...

How long until we see you on the OSHA is this ok instagram page?

We use a backhoe bucket. I've found a few beers before i got up helps me out.

I just have a 12' a frame ladder i use. Mine i do believe is going to be about 24ft to the peak so i will have to come up with something to do mine

Bumpers said:
I just have a 12' a frame ladder i use. Mine i do believe is going to be about 24ft to the peak so i will have to come up with something to do mine

Be worth renting a scissor lift at that point. Lol