• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics/Vids of 4 cyl. WOOPOW and some awesome crawling!!!

Re: Pics/Vids of 4 cyl. WOOPOW and some awesome creek crawling!!!

TacomaJD said:
Yes, but I am unsure if they are the 27 spline or newer 30 spline. You running FJ80 front also?

They will either be 24 or 30 spline. FJ80 inners are different from mini-truck axles.

Chances are they are 24 spline inners

Kinda, ive got a 9.5 l.c. center and 80 outers made for stock lenth shafts. There a big 24 spline. 80 stuff is diffrent. There was a short run of 30/30 made but theres only a few guys on pirate that i know of that have em

Re: Pics/Vids of 4 cyl. WOOPOW and some awesome creek crawling!!!

TBItoy said:
They will either be 24 or 30 spline. FJ80 inners are different from mini-truck axles.

Chances are they are 24 spline inners

My mistake, I was thinking 27 for some reason. Do you have any idea how long the 30 spline Fj80 longs have been out? These axle shafts were in this truck before Jamie bought it, so you're probably right about the 24 splines.

Nevermind, that answers my question :dblthumb:

sastoy said:
Kinda, ive got a 9.5 l.c. center and 80 outers made for stock lenth shafts. There a big 24 spline. 80 stuff is diffrent. There was a short run of 30/30 made but theres only a few guys on pirate that i know of that have em

Re: Re: Re: Pics/Vids of 4 cyl. WOOPOW and some awesome crawling!!!

Neal3000 said:
Area 51 looks amazing!

100% everything I look for in wheeling territory. Very little mud, even when it rains. There is mud, but you have to want to go to where it is. Those creek beds are my favorite!

Re: Re: Re: Pics/Vids of 4 cyl. WOOPOW and some awesome crawling!!!

TacomaJD said:
100% everything I look for in wheeling territory. Very little mud, even when it rains. There is mud, but you have to want to go to where it is. Those creek beds are my favorite!

I HATE mud!!!!! :flipgotcha: And Area 51 looks like a piece of offroading art, not that you two afflicted sumbitches would know anything about that!

ROKTOY829 said:
JD you ever get the hot soak crank issue you had at hpo fixed?

Nope it done it bad at Area 51 on the way out......and I was also running out of propane. And it was 3wd...and my throttle stop wasn't working wortha **** and it would go dead easily. Then was a mf'r to get crunk again. And hydraulic steering isn't doing like it should, think it's not getting cooled enough. I was literally about ready to set it on fire by the time I got back to the trailer. It's going back in the shop for a while til I get all that **** worked out.

TacomaJD said:
Nope it done it bad at Area 51 on the way out......and I was also running out of propane. And it was 3wd...and my throttle stop wasn't working wortha **** and it would go dead easily. Then was a mf'r to get crunk again. And hydraulic steering isn't doing like it should, think it's not getting cooled enough. I was literally about ready to set it on fire by the time I got back to the trailer. It's going back in the shop for a while til I get all that **** worked out.
wonder if the running issue maybe resulting in the steering issue. my hydro assist does not like low rpm's

ROKTOY829 said:
wonder if the running issue maybe resulting in the steering issue. my hydro assist does not like low rpm's

It's not just the rpms, for sure. My belt has been squealing bad upon crank up no matter how loose or tight I run it, and you can tell it's slipping a little while turning the steering wheel. It's almost like the pump or something else is harder for the belt to turn than it should be, that belt had teeth on it (or grooves, not teethed like for cogs.) when I put it on last year, now it is a solid smooth v-belt, teeth worn off. Put it on last year, but has only had roughly 10 rides on it since then and has already wore all the teeth off. Had a smooth v-belt on it before and it started not working good, so I swapped to teeth to try it out. Worked good until all the teeth were ate off of it, now it sucks.

It was doing a new thing on the way out of the woods Saturday night though. It was hanging up at certain positions while turning, on easy simply terrain. Like it would turn easy then get really hard to turn, yank it past that point, then easy to turn again. It was right inline with "center" driving in a straight line. I darted all over the mile or two of asphalt you gotta drive on to get back to the trailers. Wish I had the money to put a whole new badass steering system in it instead of tracing down problems. Something def has to be done, it's not right at all.

TacomaJD said:
It's not just the rpms, for sure. My belt has been squealing bad upon crank up no matter how loose or tight I run it, and you can tell it's slipping a little while turning the steering wheel. It's almost like the pump or something else is harder for the belt to turn than it should be, that belt had teeth on it (or grooves, not teethed like for cogs.) when I put it on last year, now it is a solid smooth v-belt, teeth worn off. Put it on last year, but has only had roughly 10 rides on it since then and has already wore all the teeth off. Had a smooth v-belt on it before and it started not working good, so I swapped to teeth to try it out. Worked good until all the teeth were ate off of it, now it sucks.

It was doing a new thing on the way out of the woods Saturday night though. It was hanging up at certain positions while turning, on easy simply terrain. Like it would turn easy then get really hard to turn, yank it past that point, then easy to turn again. It was right inline with "center" driving in a straight line. I darted all over the mile or two of asphalt you gotta drive on to get back to the trailers. Wish I had the money to put a whole new badass steering system in it instead of tracing down problems. Something def has to be done, it's not right at all.

As the teeth get worn down it essentially makes the belt longer (aka looser) making it slip. Being a toothed belt it should have been either a 7xxx or 9xxx series belt. Is it thinneror wider than your other belts?

muddinmetal said:
As the teeth get worn down it essentially makes the belt longer (aka looser) making it slip. Being a toothed belt it should have been either a 7xxx or 9xxx series belt. Is it thinneror wider than your other belts?

Right and I've adjusted it multiple times. It's ran loose to normal to damn that's a little tight to damn I don't need to go any tighter than that, and it's about equally shitty. I figure it's overheating, because it's always worse toward the end of the day. I've read where excessive overheating can lead to damage on the internals of the pump or directional control valve ("orbital"). I know it had a flush for the first time under my ownership when George had the front end out from under it. And that didn't help, same as it was doing before, only getting worse.

Re:

Inner shaft split at the birf....i figure it probably fawked the birf up where the broke part split out. Too much grease on to tell now. Hopefully RCV will warranty it.

yrygubu7.jpg

What kinda fluid you running? I have always had good luck with tractor hyd fluid. Might be a cheap option to try.

Toddy

TacomaJD said:
Right and I've adjusted it multiple times. It's ran loose to normal to damn that's a little tight to damn I don't need to go any tighter than that, and it's about equally shitty. I figure it's overheating, because it's always worse toward the end of the day. I've read where excessive overheating can lead to damage on the internals of the pump or directional control valve ("orbital"). I know it had a flush for the first time under my ownership when George had the front end out from under it. And that didn't help, same as it was doing before, only getting worse.

in my single seater my pump started whining really bad, resevoir started puking out the cap and rear steer was getting harder to operate (single pump for f/r). I ended up flushing all of the fluid and bought a remote reservoir from PSC that had the internal baffle. I went back with royal purple ps fluid and and a new belt. Now my system works 10x's better and no more pump whining

I use Amsoil 5w30 tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid, the best ever! ride all day and you can stick you finger in the fluid its so cool, plus I got a big cooler with a fan