• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powder coating Q

boxboy

can I be your friend...
How do you remove powder coating? Just like paint striper or is there some thing else I can purchase?

This is on aluminum.

The only thing that comes to mind is Naval Jelly but that would play hell on the Alu. underneath.....soooooo dunno.

Hows your back....riding was fun today

I am actually starting to feel better after 3 days of laying on the floor on an ice pack and a couple visits to the chiropractor... oh and 7 hours of Brads seat warmers :cool:

how would sand blasting be? I am working on TR rings...

I am actually starting to feel better after 3 days of laying on the floor on an ice pack and a couple visits to the chiropractor... oh and 7 hours of Brads seat warmers :cool:

how would sand blasting be? I am working on TR rings...

Sandblasting "works" but It can leave a pretty rough surface underneath. Not from the actual sandblasting procedure but from working a tough section of powdercoat and the area around that section gets overly abraded...if that makes sense.

You could always bring me the rings and we could get them re-shot for you,in your color, at our price;)

Did you and B'rizzle go on a roadtrip?

Sand to remove, or blast, or burn it off.

If you take them to a powder shop, they can take care of it with the least damage to the substrate. If its on there GOOD, then your really don't need to take it to bare metal, just a serious scratch and you can powder coat over powder coat.

If you got the capability, blast the hard spots (such as the bolt holes) then sand the flat spots with a DA or random.

If it was steel I would say burn it off with the careful use of a torch. But I would be more wary with aluminum, although a MAP gas hand-torch should do it pretty good job, then a light sand-blast or some scrubbing time.

Benco B-17

this stuff will take everything off in minutes including your skin. Schultz distribution carries it or do a web search.

10X stronger than and off the shelf stripper

I have done lots of powdercoating and this is the only stuff to use

I was just thinking to just leave them as an aluminum ring with no power coating so any sort of blasting/sanding/grinding probably wouldn't work or look to good but what will the surface look like after using the stripper?

I was just thinking to just leave them as an aluminum ring with no power coating so any sort of blasting/sanding/grinding probably wouldn't work or look to good but what will the surface look like after using the stripper?

you will need to polish them, nothing major

ive used aircraft stripper on powdered lotus wheels it works pretty well, and you can get it off the shelf im pretty sure.

When I worked at the maintenance facility here on base, we always sandblasted it off.

We had different medias for different materials. I'm not 100% what we used on aluminum, but I know it didn't look like ass when we were done.

More then likely it was sandblasted before powdercoat, so you would have to polish it. Just for reference, I took some rings that were powdercoated already, to the sandblaster and he wanted $40 a ring. It took him a half hour to do one ring. I told him forget it, the material wouldnt even cost that.
So it may also be better to just buy new rings and sell what you have.

this is what i am starting with

SNC00181_zps8f74989f.jpg

SNC00180_zpsfc088047.jpg

Im interested in this also, I will be changing the color on my rings soon too. I plan to just blast them myself in my blast cabnet and whatever I cant get off Ill take to my powder coater and let him deal with them. Save me a few hours or labor pay to him. I have a feeling that blasting them will take the coating off.

Id try the chemical stripping first. I dont know how you would polish the rings back after sandblasting.
Also, I think they use glass beads or walnut shells on aluminum rather then sand.

Last edited:
Polish them like you would anything. Strip with what works best, then sand with a DA or Random orbital with progressively finer grades of paper. The hit them with a buffing wheel and compound. A large wheel on a pedestal grinder would work the best then you could lay into them but you could probably get pretty good results with a buffing wheel on a hand 7" hand grinder.

All it takes is time :D

You could do the same thing to remove the coating as well. But you would still have it in the bolt holes and have to do something else to clean that part off.

Soda blast would be the most gentle on the aluminum. Though, If you're trying to get those gouges out, I wouldn't be worried about the blasting process. :haha:

not worried on the gouges just wanted to see what the options are to clean them up some and thought it was a good point on discussion. it would be best to get some stripper then hit with a fin grit sand paper to knock the higher ridges off then buff them out. or so it is sounding like.