• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane problem

bamfyj

I just bought a jeep with propane . It runs good but doesnt want to idle most of the time and when I am climbing a hill and let off the throttle it dies . I have to press the button in the center of the regulator once or twice while full throttle to get it to fire back up. I noticed after about ten minutes of driving around the yard the regulator would burn the hell outta my hand when I went to press the button . The regulator I have is an -- Impco Model E -- thats all I know about this system.

Coolant from the radiator flows through it. It should be warm, but not that hot. The bigger problem may be that your engine is overheating. You can get a rebuild kit on ebay. They are cheap and easy to install.

the motor is in good working order . the engine temp seemed ok didnt seem as if it were overheating, no chugging or pinging like most head gasket problems, gonna double check that the fans are working as they should. its acting like a carb on a hill starving for fuel. the propane tanks are full and it runs like a raped ape on flat land other than the idling problem. its a 350 chevy engine , so should the timing be set like if carb'd

aetnarearsteer : the coolant level is fine

are your tanks positioned like they should be? either standing up or laying down with the alignment hole facing down

whiskeymakin said:
are your tanks positioned like they should be? either standing up or laying down with the alignment hole facing down
The tanks are laying down and the valves are positioned so that the supply line is vertical , if thats what you mean by alignment hole

Gonna screw around with it a bunch tomorrow . I'll update this Sunday night

bamfyj said:
The tanks are laying down and the valves are positioned so that the supply line is vertical , if thats what you mean by alignment hole

There is a smaller hole in the rim of the tank near the handles about 1-2" diameter. That part much be down. It sounds like you don't have a temp guage. You might want to get one.

Found that alignment hole that was mentioned and yes the tanks are lined up with them. I fixed the hot regulator problem .The PO had just put a radiator in it before I bought it and I'm guessing he didnt really know what he was doing because he didnt bleed the air from the cooling system , it had a huge air pocket in it that required another gallon of 50/50 mix. The regulator is still warm but wont burn your hand now.

Ok , now for the regulator location. Should it be mounted as close as possible to the mixer , or will it be fine all the way in the back passenger area of the jeep next to the tanks?

gubni said:
Coolant from the radiator flows through it. It should be warm, but not that hot. The bigger problem may be that your engine is overheating. You can get a rebuild kit on ebay. They are cheap and easy to install.

You were right Gubni. I took the jeep out for a beating Saturday and the overheating problem happened again and I figured out whats going on . I am geting a steady flow of tiny air bubbles circulating through the radiator. I obviously have compression leaking into my cooling system :mad:
. I didnt even notice the bubbles flowing through when I was bleeding the system. Prolly should've used a little more caution when purchasing after he said he just replaced the radiator but I was just excited about getting another jeep . Since I have to tear it down to fix it I might as well throw a few extra bucks at it for some more horsepower.

Latest posts