• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane tank mounting

patman

I used to have my tanks mounted flat, but I kept stalling when leaned over too far and they weren't full. The tanks are now upright, and i get almost 1/4 tank more. But it looks ugly.

Do yall with flat mounted tanks have the same issue? Do you just deal with it and not try to lean a certain way when the tank is low?

Re:

I used to have the same issue as you. When I backhalfed my jeep I stood them straight up and it uses the full tank now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

smbroady82 said:
Mine are both flat mounted.
Make sure the "hookup" is facing down.

From your pic, looks like your tanks go from front to back. Mine were going from driver to passenger.

It would be cool if there were aftermarket pickups available, sort of like the walbro ones that close themselves off when not in fluid. My problem is when the pickup tube is on the opposite end of the lean

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I used to have the same issue as you. When I backhalfed my jeep I stood them straight up and it uses the full tank now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I guess I'm going to have to live with it until a motor swap

5ddf7e1de046bb33b15e6044c128a366.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mine were flat no issues.
Did you make sure your pickup tube was down? There is a hole to indicate that on the tank handle.

Even if he has the pickup at the bottom like he should, they will still starve when off camber in the wrong direction. Propane works much better offroad when mounted front to back with the valve facing the front if possible

ForMud said:
Same here.

I wonder if the tube broke off inside the tank.

I have 4 tanks, but have had the problem with all of them.

As muddinmetal said, the issue is when leaning over and the tank valve is pointed down. The pickup sticks up in the air, and if I'm in that position too long it starves. I usually swap the hose over to the spare tank and end up with a 1/4 tank that doesn't get used.

Front to back may be a better option for me, if I can make it fit. Or point the tanks opposite directions and add another solenoid with a y-connection so I can swap to other tank then back when I'm no longer leaning

I have never had any kind of issue with mine. I am running two tanks in the back that run parallel to the frame rails, not horizontal.

Like others have stated... mine are mounted flat with the indexing hole in the tank handle area facing straight down, Tank valve facing down and to the front of the buggy.

And when they run out, they are BONE dry. Completely empty.

Both of mine are flat. Only time I've noticed them act weird is when it's super hot out. But if it starves I turn on the other full tank and problem solved. I have many times considered swapping to fi but for the amount I would gain it's not worth the cost. Plus I'm about to build a high compression motor and propane will
Be easier then running hi octane gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk