• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PS cooler question

greenie

just mounted up a ps steering cooler from the junkyard and noticed it was 5/16 in/out (tranny cooler), and my ps line is 3/8. i can get it hooked up with 5/16 hose fine. should i run it, or get a 3/8 one? its on the low pressure line.

get a 3/8" one. it dosent sound like much but you can move a lot more volume of fluid thru the larger hose and cooler lines thus cooling it better. restricting it down to 5/16 will cause a restriction and could cause your fluid to be warmer than it was before.

get a 3/8" one. it dosent sound like much but you can move a lot more volume of fluid thru the larger hose and cooler lines thus cooling it better. restricting it down to 5/16 will cause a restriction and could cause your fluid to be warmer than it was before.
HEGH?:masturbanana[1]:

Stick with the one you got, if it mounts easy. 3/8" vs. 5/16" isn't significant enough to make a difference for a steering cooler. The cooler is rated for an automatic transmission, that generates a significant warmer temp than a PS pump. Just having the cooler alone is a drastic difference. A temporary increase in pressure across the cooler (metering) will increase the heat rejection, & if it's in the winter, you can pack snow over it.
I recommend using a transmission fluid filter on your return line, just incase any debris gets loose, it wont take out your pump.
I'm running one out of a jeep cherokee.

Having a slight restriction in the cooler actually makes the fluid cooler, it slows the flow which causes the fluid to stay in the cooler longer cooling it more. Stock p/s coolers are usually little more than a longer line or a u shaped cooler with a few fins, it you have more than that you have more than enough.

HEGH?:masturbanana[1]:

Stick with the one you got, if it mounts easy. 3/8" vs. 5/16" isn't significant enough to make a difference for a steering cooler. The cooler is rated for an automatic transmission, that generates a significant warmer temp than a PS pump. Just having the cooler alone is a drastic difference. A temporary increase in pressure across the cooler (metering) will increase the heat rejection, & if it's in the winter, you can pack snow over it.
I recommend using a transmission fluid filter on your return line, just incase any debris gets loose, it wont take out your pump.
I'm running one out of a jeep cherokee.

Not Hegh that's why I can speel :haha: Just talking from real life experience. Your correct that any cooler is better than no cooler but your not considering that ATF is thinner than PS fluid and has a different viscosity as well. Second and even more to the point why not use the right cooler in the first place and not have to deal with packing snow on it to make it work :eeek: Kinda defeats the point of a cooler doesn't it :eeek: The filter is always a good idea and a magnetic one is even better yet :awesomework

Get the 3/8

Smaller cooler lines will make the fluid move faster and at a higher pressure

I personally run 1/2" return and cooler

hmm, well maybe ill get a bigger one. doesnt make sense to me to speed up the flow through the cooler portion.

hmm, well maybe ill get a bigger one. doesnt make sense to me to speed up the flow through the cooler portion.

1st of all, the fluid only moves when you steer! So, the point of restriction is moot. The fluid stays dormant, going straight, & cooling as well.
You do what you want. Metering flow is called "coefficient" & makes total sense if you go to school. As mentioned before, a higher pressure fluid dissipates temperature more efficient. The actual PS coolers they sell, actually have a heat sink metering device. Going with a smaller line engineers this factor in already.
You've had an educated response.
Spend more money if you want.

"Not Hegh that's why I can speel :haha:"
:masturbanana[1]::masturbanana[1]::masturbanana[1]::masturbanana[1]::masturbanana[1]:
As far as spelling??? HEGH? wasn't meant to be spelled right. It's a SOUND!:flipoff:
Packing snow is irrelevant. Just an option. Air cooled vs. water cooled:kissmyass:
And How is having options defeating the purpose??????

Last edited:
trailbeast it sounds like youre pretty sure about it so maybe ill give it a try. when it fades out which at some point it will, i will be wondering...
i know weve discussed wheeling before, so you wouldnt steer me wrong :beer:
i modified the fitting coming off the high pressure line in the pump for more flow. that didnt help anything so far, so taking the next step...

You definitely want to put the cooler on the return side.
You didn't mention you were having pump problems.
I too modified a fitting on the high side once. Then I found out there was a difference in the actual pump for running hydro assist breaks.
Now, when I need a pump, I ask for the one with hydro assist. (Chev 350)
I'm running a hydro assist ram, turning 40's no problem. I have to change pumps every couple years, but I consider that maintenance.
I also run dual belts on the pump now too.

You do what you want. Metering flow is called "coefficient" & makes total sense if you go to school. As mentioned before, a higher pressure fluid dissipates temperature more efficient. The actual PS coolers they sell, actually have a heat sink metering device. Going with a smaller line engineers this factor in already.
QUOTE]

:hi:
:corn::haha:

Not flipping ya crap in any way, but............

School is in and time will tell

Not sure what type of system Trail Beast is running but a stock power steering system circulates fluid at all times.

You didn't mention you were having pump problems.

im not, that im aware of. trying for better than stock performance tho. long as the pump spins fine and doesnt leak, its workin right?
got a lower geared j/20 box, but prob should have just tapped the stock box and put a ram in there, with a big fat cooler.

The pump builds up the pressure, then bypasses through valve bodies & moves the majority of the fluid with the action of steering.

I'm running a modified "red top" saginaw gear box, that's been tapped out for a supply & return to run a modified ram from an F150 hydro assist set up.
I'm running the Chevy 350 "tear drop" style with hydro assist. I've plumbed a 5/16" 4 row about 8x10 tranny cooler from a jeep grand cherokee, & mounted where my parking lamp used to be on my CJ5 grill.
I'm running IROK 39.5" mounted on 13" wide beadlockers with a D44 lincoln locker. I can steer lock to lock 35 deg, aired down, hubs locked in, on hard pavement, with one finger.

When I'm on the trail, I'm frequently filming with one hand, & driving with the other.
Check out my youtube channel "Hooked on Jeepin'" masonjr3
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gWh4YXVKA4[/YT]

Last edited:
Taking steering advice from a guy running a welded front diff is something I would approach with caution.

NEVER confuse luck with skill.

Go with the larger lines.

It amazes me how many people cross that closed bridge when there is a new one 100ft upstream and then put on the internet where the rangers can see it. :rolleyes: