• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PSC Reservoir leaks around cap

redneckengineered

Trailer Park Panty Dropper
It seems like I've always had this problem. No matter what I do I always get fluid from around the cap on my PSC reservoir. Not a lot, but enough to leave a nice residue all over the reservoir and piss you off. It has the sealing O-ring and everything is vented properly and the steering is flawless otherwise. Been running the same setup for 4 years with zero complaints other than this. The leaking has never been enough to bother me but Jessica is having the same problem on her PSC reservoir in TN Mojo so now I'm thinking I'm not the only one. I recently noticed on a trip to Wide Open Design that the newest PSC reservoirs have the o-ring machined into the body and are no longer on the cap. I'm wondering if this is a "fix" or just a manufacturing change. Thoughts?

Maybe try switching to a polyurethane oring. They tend to swell up a little more than buna or vitons when in contact with grease and oil.

If you figure out something let me know, i've got the same thing going on here too. I didn't really worry much about it b/c like you said, it is really just an annoyance.

I had to file the threads on both mine to get the cap to turn in about another 1/4 turn. No leaks

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

crawlin85cj said:
I had to file the threads on both mine to get the cap to turn in about another 1/4 turn. No leaks

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

I think BJ is on to something here ^^^. A friend of mine had the same issue. Always seemed like his cap would bottom out on the threads without putting much pressure on the sealing ring. So we tried a new thicker O-ring and that fixed his problem.

7c174ac83e05e27aaaf8b48815ab7be0.jpg

Saw this on fb maybe an option for you?

redneckengineered said:
I'm not sure I get it. If you vent to a catch can or even just vent 3 sides and down, what's the point of the fancy pants pop off valve? That cap pictured though is the new one where the o-ring is recessed in the reservoir I'm pretty sure.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the price of beans, but is it possible that rising heat/ building pressure is causing this? Maybe look at wrapping the reservoir to protect against heat, etc. I am probably way off, but just thinking outside the box of chocolates. :dunno:

CHASMAN9 said:
Not sure if this has anything to do with the price of beans, but is it possible that rising heat/ building pressure is causing this? Maybe look at wrapping the reservoir to protect against heat, etc. I am probably way off, but just thinking outside the box of chocolates. :dunno:

That's what I was thinking? But hell I could be wrong to. Mine can idle all day in the driveway but after it gets hot it will leak?????

CHASMAN9 said:

Steering doesn't get overly hot and even if it did and build pressure there's a free flowing overflow right there for that very reason. They mostly leak from sloshing from what I can tell, being on steep inclines where the fluid is against the cap seems to be when it's the worst. It seems pretty clear to me it's an o-ring sealing issue. Even when you screw the cap down it doesn't feel like the o-ring is sealing right. Lance has already told me he'll take care of it but I'll probably try and home brew fix for now before I start pulling reservoirs off.

Re:

That pop off makes a Pressurized reservoir.

Works like a radiator cap, holds slight head pressure as fluid heats up, helps prevent cavatation, etc.

redneckengineered said:
Steering doesn't get overly hot and even if it did and build pressure there's a free flowing overflow right there for that very reason. They mostly leak from sloshing from what I can tell, being on steep inclines where the fluid is against the cap seems to be when it's the worst. It seems pretty clear to me it's an o-ring sealing issue. Even when you screw the cap down it doesn't feel like the o-ring is sealing right. Lance has already told me he'll take care of it but I'll probably try and home brew fix for now before I start pulling reservoirs off.

As stated by senior neck, the issue is the reservoir cap sealing. The fancy pants over flow pictured, won't fix the issue and may magnify the problem .

Let me know what you try, I may see if I can find a o-ring with more girth.

Re:

Pretty sorry that it leaks from sloshing.

Especially since it looks blingy.

You could buy a short piece of O ring material (of what ever shape/profile would seal up good) and glue your own.

"Custom" O rings are pretty common in industry, but it seems that a lot of automotive people aren't aware that it's an option

TBItoy said:

You could buy a short piece of O ring material (of what ever shape/profile would seal up good) and glue your own.

"Custom" O rings are pretty common in industry, but it seems that a lot of automotive people aren't aware that it's an option

Luckily we have a local place that rebuild hydraulic cylinders, etc. They have tons of o-rings etc. Have to get over there and see what I can come up with

Re:

TBItoy said:

I've always made my own H1 o-rings since 12-bolts do not use a standard size. Never had a problem with one.

Stumbled upon this.....filed the threads? On the cap or reservoir? I am on my second PSC reservoir and both of them have leaked and I didn't know why. Larger O-Ring and filing threads seems simple enough for such an expensive chunk of metal.