• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Putting a scared child on a plane?

poolman

OK so my family is going on vacation in a few weeks, my 10 year old has never flown. He's a nervous little fellow and isn't liking the idea of flying at all. I'm worried about getting to the gate and him freaking out. Anyone ever been in this position or something similar?

Re:

What is the reason for his fear? Maybe you should take him to an airport and let him watch the planes taking off and landing. That could go either way though. I think you have to hit the fear head on.

Talk to him, but don't make him feel bad about his fear. This is just my 2 cents and I am certainly not great with kids. Hope this helps.

Re:

My wife wants me to fly, I'm scared to death of flying. I feel like I'm missing out on some things being I'm scared to fly. I sat on a Delta jet at the air show and I knew the plane wouldn't take off however I was almost in panic mode when we got off. I've been told I can get medication to make me calm however I don't really want to take pills to get over a fear.

The reason for his fear is he's 10, never flown and he's my boy haha. I'm not a huge fan of flying never have been but I've flown several times. I just go have a couple beers. Can't do that with a 10 year old. First time I flew I was about his age and hated it, some people just don't like it.

poolman said:
OK so my family is going on vacation in a few weeks, my 10 year old has never flown. He's a nervous little fellow and isn't liking the idea of flying at all. I'm worried about getting to the gate and him freaking out. Anyone ever been in this position or something similar?

We just went to Disney earlier this year. For the 3 year old we told him it would be just like the movie Planes and will be fast and awesome. We watched the movie often up to the time we left.
The 10 year old we just told her the truth. More people die in car crashes. I said she gets her iPad once we are in the air and can chew all the gun she wanted. Her stomach hurt the whole time we waited to board but when we took off we all held hands and it went fine.
We added into our prayers the night before we left for God to keep us safe. If that's not your thing that's fine by me but thought I'd mention it especially if your kids believe in God.

rpf500 said:
The 10 year old we just told her the truth. More people die in car crashes. I said she gets her iPad once we are in the air and can chew all the gun she wanted. Her stomach hurt the whole time we waited to board but when we took off we all held hands and it went fine.
We added into our prayers the night before we left for God to keep us safe. If that's not your thing that's fine by me but thought I'd mention it especially if your kids believe in God.

I appreciate the reply, I've already explained how it was safer than being on the road, and yes we've already mentioned it in last night's prayers and will continue to, just wondering what I would do if he's just terrified when it's time to board. For I know he might just start screaming bloody murder?? Can't react at a airport like you would at home?

A good choke hold till he's out then drag him onboard!! Kidding. I love flying, hell I wish I had a plane, but if he's scared there is prob not much you can do for that,and if you make him he will always be scared, kinda one of those loose loose situations.

Calmly but firmly if he starts freaking out tell himthat he needs to suck it up, dry it up and act like a 10 year old. A ten year old shouldn't scream bloody murder like a two year old. I'm not trying to be a **** but a 10 year old is old enough to start his journey to manhood.

jeepmedic said:
Calmly but firmly if he starts freaking out tell himthat he needs to suck it up, dry it up and act like a 10 year old. A ten year old shouldn't scream bloody murder like a two year old. I'm not trying to be a **** but a 10 year old is old enough to start his journey to manhood.

I guess i didnt explain everything It's different, again myself and him are kinda nervous people, I'm assuming claustrophobic. Maybe bloody murder was the wrong words,,,thanks anyways I can make my son be a man, I was just asking advice about flying for the first time, not how to get on a fair ride.

I think we've got it figured out,, thanks for the first few replys guys! thumb.gif

Another option is to be at the gate early and talk to the attendant; they normally get there about one hour before. See if they can introduce both of you to the flight crew and possible let you board early. With him being 10, the flight crew may show him the cockpit and talk to him about flight operations. A lot will depend on which airline you are flying and how busy they are at the time, but it can't hurt to ask.
As to your original question, a little tough love is about all you have left at that point. Prior to that point though, build it up as an adventure and put forward the totally calm demeanor yourself. He'll feed off you when he starts getting nervous. Good Luck.

Diamond B said:
Another option is to be at the gate early and talk to the attendant; they normally get there about one hour before. See if they can introduce both of you to the flight crew and possible let you board early. With him being 10, the flight crew may show him the cockpit and talk to him about flight operations. A lot will depend on which airline you are flying and how busy they are at the time, but it can't hurt to ask.
As to your original question, a little tough love is about all you have left at that point. Prior to that point though, build it up as an adventure and put forward the totally calm demeanor yourself. He'll feed off you when he starts getting nervous. Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply, I probably shouldn't have posted this without all the details but I did! It's all good thanks guys! :dblthumb:

Do you know someone that has their pilot license? My be worthwhile to let lil guy have a little ride in a small plane. Make sure lil guy knows small planes are rougher riding than the big ones.

I've only flew twice and haven't been the least bit nervous about it, don't really understand how some are so terrified of it. Not necessarily your kid, I'm speaking more about grown men. Of course, I'm a grown man and go full retard over spiders, yet can pick up a snake and not be bothered the least bit.

Fun fact of the day, Ben Burnley - the lead singer of Breaking Benjamin - is so terrified of flying that he has incorporated his phobia of flying (and many other phobias) into his music like sounds of planes going down and captain speaking over the intercom..... and the band has never toured outside of the US because he will not fly anywhere. They drive to each destination they play at in the US.

TacomaJD said:
I've only flew twice and haven't been the least bit nervous about it, don't really understand how some are so terrified of it. Not necessarily your kid, I'm speaking more about grown men. Of course, I'm a grown man and go full retard over spiders, yet can pick up a snake and not be bothered the least bit.

Fun fact of the day, Ben Burnley - the lead singer of Breaking Benjamin - is so terrified of flying that he has incorporated his phobia of flying (and many other phobias) into his music like sounds of planes going down and captain speaking over the intercom..... and the band has never toured outside of the US because he will not fly anywhere. They drive to each destination they play at in the US.

That's part of the beauty of mental health. I don't think anyone on the planet has a full grasp of how or why we all act the way we do. Factors show up, chemical imbalances, nature and nurture. I am sure a lot of people would be confused how Mr. Dean could ever hop (no pun intended) back on a motorcycle and ride around.

I am not scared of being stabbed, shot or of being blown up. I am petrified of being completely irrelevant in the world, especially to my own kids. To each their own. I never try the cookie cutter approach with anyone I meet. Who knows what screw is too tight, or too loose that might cause a life changing experience to happen right in front of your very eyes.

Some good suggestions on this post and some Neanderthal sounding mother ****ers too. Thank God we live in this country where we can say whatever we want and not get in trouble for it (within reason).