• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question about gears

I charge between 600-650 labor for 2 axles. Depending on what they are. If its a toyota or 9" and you bring me the 3rd, its only 150. now I have about 5k invested in tools just for doing differentials and I have done hundreds of them, possibly in 4 digits now. But im not going to back my prices down because some guy watched a youtube video. Thats barely turning a profit. Also note that about half the builds i do are to correct a diy job.... At that point that usually spend twice the money they would have if they had just brought it to me to begin with. Im in birmingham if you want me to have a look at yours

Jduck said:
Why?? :popcorn: I've set up many sets without a depth gauge. It just takes a little longer if installing on a bare housing. On a housing that you pull the gears out of the shims used on the existing pinion are normally correct or really close for the new gear set.

I'm with Jduck on this on.

Also make you a set of setup bearings and go to town :****:

$500 on labor for a drive in/out rig is a very fair quote for labor. That same money I hear all the time "can be used to buy your own tools to do it again" is fine if your going to keep setting up your gears. All the time I hear "close enough" "what break in"" its a trail rig" most gear failures are from incorrect setups, others being woopow and sudden stops of drive train under serious load. The gear better be set correctly if you are going to be driving it on the street.

Latest posts