• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question bout Dana 44 outer axle?

graysquirrel

So I have a dana 44 out of a scout, the outer axle was ruined (ujoint caps cam off and hogged out the holes), so my question would any dana 44 outer axle work? Is it specific to a scout outer? Would one, say out of a chevy work? Are there different size, length, spline count?

Thanks

all the same spline count but there are some different lengths....EG ford and chevy are different length.

i guess there are also some different spline counts on the really old ones so what spline count are the ones removed?

There are differences in Dana 44's but measure the length of each shaft and measure the distance from the end of the shaft to the retainer clip and make sure it is also the same then count the spines.

scout outers are junk.

If you actually get an outer axle to hold up it will just end up carving windows in the side of the hub as the hub gear chews its way out. The bolt on hubs are junk too.

The scout stub is not the same as the fulsize three. I think they interchange with some jeep and d30 stubs? The scout outer is smaller necked down shaft if I am correct.

Upgrade to ford outers if you would like to keep it big five lug.

I might have a scout stub if you decide to keep the garbage under it. :D

Scout 44s are basicly a 44 with dana 30 Outters 27 spline stub shafts and extural hubs... Convert it over to ford rotor &bearing hubs.. Inturnal style much better.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as Choppy to say the Scout outers are "junk", but the GM/Ford outers are a bit stronger, and the internal-style hubs are stronger (actually good bolt-on's aren't bad... as long as you keep the bolts tight). But like everything they have a limit and with modern tires and wheeling styles its easy to superceed those limits.

If nothing else is damaged, you'll need a Scout D44 specific stub shaft. Easy to find used or new. Slap it all back together, weld on the u-joint caps and run it. I don't know if I have any stubs but you should be able to find some easy enough.

Watch out for Jeep or Scout D30 stuff (drum brake). The outer stubs can look the same, but use the smaller X260 joint and won't work.

scout outers are junk.

If you actually get an outer axle to hold up it will just end up carving windows in the side of the hub as the hub gear chews its way out. The bolt on hubs are junk too.

The scout stub is not the same as the fulsize three. I think they interchange with some jeep and d30 stubs? The scout outer is smaller necked down shaft if I am correct.

Thanks guys, just the info i was looking for :awesomework:

Brad, im not keepin the rig that the axle is under, so just a scout stub replacement will work just fine. You want to check and see if you got any? And a price? thanks.

Anyone else that might have one also just let me know. Thanks

scout outers are junk.

Scout 44s are basicly a 44 with dana 30 Outters 27 spline stub shafts and extural hubs... Convert it over to ford rotor &bearing hubs.. Inturnal style much better.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as Choppy to say the Scout outers are "junk", but the GM/Ford outers are a bit stronger, and the internal-style hubs are stronger (actually good bolt-on's aren't bad... as long as you keep the bolts tight). But like everything they have a limit and with modern tires and wheeling styles its easy to superceed those limits.

If nothing else is damaged, you'll need a Scout D44 specific stub shaft. Easy to find used or new. Slap it all back together, weld on the u-joint caps and run it. I don't know if I have any stubs but you should be able to find some easy enough.

Watch out for Jeep or Scout D30 stuff (drum brake). The outer stubs can look the same, but use the smaller X260 joint and won't work.

Anybody got a stub for me? Im selling my jeep in a couple days and i told the guy i would give him a stub with the jeep. Let me know, thanks!