• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for you concreters

ibrokeit said:
I don't know about up north, but down here in God's country, you will never see stone under residential site concrete.

North??? molaugh. Ya'll just got more money to spend on concrete :****:

Let me guess, your pouring on fresh fill too? Lol

And it's all going to crack at some point.

Beerj said:
Do y'all pour over dirt in basements and garages too? I've never heard of it being done that way.

Me either. But I don't do any of those. Only seen that done when I was a kid, and it was a walkway.

How deep is your frost line? Usually you get the gravel at or below the frost line (help on heaving and or settling).

Stone is for cushion.....DOT does not require stone under sidewalks or drives...slabs with buildings....to absorb shock. 3000 psi will not crack as bad as 4000 psi but does not weather as well outside. We pour 3000 class a outside all the time...28 day break is 4200 psi...on dirt.

Just save your time and money by pouring the concrete straight over the pavers then throw some mulch and a few bushes around the edges.... :flipoff1:

Ruff Cut said:
How deep is your frost line? Usually you get the gravel at or below the frost line (help on heaving and or settling).
Lol, we're at 36".
ibrokeit said:
No. House and usually garage will have stone under it.
Gotcha, that's really my only experience so that's probably why I never heard of that method. Thanks for the info though!
halcat said:
Stone is for cushion.....DOT does not require stone under sidewalks or drives...slabs with buildings....to absorb shock. 3000 psi will not crack as bad as 4000 psi but does not weather as well outside. We pour 3000 class a outside all the time...28 day break is 4200 psi...on dirt.
I see. I'll be pouring up against another portion of the patio so I wonder if going with 3000 might help the new stuff catch up to the existing a little quicker as far as looking similarly weathered.

TacomaJD said:
Just save your time and money by pouring the concrete straight over the pavers then throw some mulch and a few bushes around the edges.... :flipoff1:
Ha! That wouldn't work for at least 4 reasons.

Looks like I lucked out. There was probably a good 8" of stone under the bricks. Should be no problem to take the extra to fill in the areas that didn't have brick to begin with.