• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question on linking front and running leaves in rear.

wap13

From what I gather most would say link the rear first. Its easier than linking the front and eliminates axle wrap. I get that. This is my first link set up but the plan is run a 3 link front on ORI's, ford 60 under a yj frame. Jeep will be street legalish, I want to be able to drive it to the trail, store, beach wherever but also keep up on the trail. Looking to run 38-40" tire.

Reason for wanting to leave the rear on leaves is I would like to be able to pull a small trailer like a M1101 from time to time. I have trucks I can use so I guess its not a deal breaker but thought I could get some input here without getting a plethora of smart ass comments on how dumb the idea was. I assume C/Os or ORI's probably arent a smart idea for wanting to pull a trailer.

So, link the front and run leaves in the rear?
Link the rear and leaves in the front?
Save up and link both at once and be done?
Option D just run leaves on all 4 corners, be cheaper, easier, quicker and maybe finish this project before the next decade.

Current status is a pile of parts and a bare frame so whatever I do I am starting from scratch.

TIA

Link front leafs rear works fine. I think it's easier and quicker to link the rear, so it wouldn't require as much re-work as the front (going from leafs to links)

The rear will have a sway bar effect also, so it be easier to setup good road manners. IMO.

Starting from a bare frame, and non-stock axles, I'd just link both to begin with though.

Any thoughts on a linked rear and pulling a small trailer?

If I linked the rear I would like to (dont guess I have to) run ORI's for ease of packaging and cost. I know they arent cheap but if I was to go with a decent set of COs like fox, then add bumps, than add a sway bar the cost would be similar with the ORI's likely being cheaper plus a lot less time getting it all in there. I also like that I could tune the ORI's myself.

While I'm at it whats the consensus of trussing a front for 3 link?

I would like to truss it for strength but I see a lot of people just turn a top link tower. Is this for more adjustability or simply to save money?

Last two jeeps I built were 3 link front with air shocks and leafs in the rear. XJ leafs on the TJ and rehung YJ leafs on the YJ. Stable and simple
10400120_533135510712_6300126_n.jpg

180218_878796193932_205412505_n.jpg

save you time and headache,,, skip the ORIs, nothing but a bitch and dont work well, go fox or something with a spring, ( i know some have had luck with ori,s but most dont,when the fail you left sitting with no air in your shocks), spring shocks will still hold you up if they fail,