• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rear steer electric joystick controller

Skidkid

What joystick do you rear steer guys use ?

Likes / dislikes?

I've got one for my build but I feel it's going to be too small, the lever that is.

Yea, I have PSCs manual and felt it was too bulky and too stiff to use as well. So I'm going with the electric jy.

I'll check out stazwerks stick, thanks.

JDodd said:
I've never seen it done but I think setting up paddle shifters for rear steer would be something different

Yea I'm not sure how well that would work. I imagine it would be difficult to use them while jerk swerving up a radical climb. But who knows.

Re: Re: Rear steer electric joystick controller

I've got foot switches in mine. Love them. I also have a small momentary on-off-momentary on toggle for my hand that i rarely use.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

not sure if anybody knows the guy that ran P.O.S. steering, but he could put together a pretty neat electric setup. i think he is out of the business. i have a invoice from when i bought mine but its all shipped from different places, not sure where all he pieced it together from

patooyee said:
I've got foot switches in mine. Love them. I also have a small momentary on-off-momentary on toggle for my hand that i rarely use.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Can you post up some pictures of your foot set up? That sounds like a really cool idea!

Blase said:
Can you post up some pictures of your foot set up? That sounds like a really cool idea!

Here's the best pic I have from my build thread.

2011-06-25_14-32-59_7.jpg

Pretty simple really. I sourced the buttons from Napa, they are meant to be stomped on with your foot. They are right where my left foot rests and so far I have found that my foot knows what to do better than my hand. I never used to be able to weave in and out of trees without slowing down using my hand switches in the past. For some reason my foot can do it like its second nature without even thinking. The switches are kind of too heavy duty. They require a good bit of pressure to actuate and I'm finding that basically now I just stomp them hard as hell to make them work. This concept was experimental at first so they do good for what they were meant to be but I would like to someday find something that is more meant for what I am doing.

They're not a complete replacement for the hand switch. But I find I used the foot switches about 90% of the time now which reduces the importance of the hand switch enough to where the small toggle I use is sufficient.

patooyee said:
Here's the best pic I have from my build thread.

2011-06-25_14-32-59_7.jpg

Pretty simple really. I sourced the buttons from Napa, they are meant to be stomped on with your foot. They are right where my left foot rests and so far I have found that my foot knows what to do better than my hand. I never used to be able to weave in and out of trees without slowing down using my hand switches in the past. For some reason my foot can do it like its second nature without even thinking. The switches are kind of too heavy duty. They require a good bit of pressure to actuate and I'm finding that basically now I just stomp them hard as hell to make them work. This concept was experimental at first so they do good for what they were meant to be but I would like to someday find something that is more meant for what I am doing.

They're not a complete replacement for the hand switch. But I find I used the foot switches about 90% of the time now which reduces the importance of the hand switch enough to where the small toggle I use is sufficient.

Hummmmmm... I wonder.

I wonder if you could build a pedal for your left foot like a foot pedal controlled skid steer loader. Rocker pedal that heal back turn left or right, toe forward turn left or right. Center neutral.

Heck, with that you could use a manual spool valve with linkage to the pedal and stops so you don't over stroke the valve.

Skidkid said:
Hummmmmm... I wonder.

I wonder if you could build a pedal for your left foot like a foot pedal controlled skid steer loader. Rocker pedal that heal back turn left or right, toe forward turn left or right. Center neutral.

I think you could do the rocker pedal with push buttons. The dimmer switches are a great idea but they are either on or off. With a push button (starter button) it would be a momentary on so you wouldn't have to hit it again to turn it off.
Just a thought from the web wheeler

How are you tying the electric joysticks to the hydraulic valve or are you replacing the valve also?

Bronco Buster said:
I think you could do the rocker pedal with push buttons. The dimmer switches are a great idea but they are either on or off. With a push button (starter button) it would be a momentary on so you wouldn't have to hit it again to turn it off.
Just a thought from the web wheeler

Not sure if you are referring to my foot switches, but if so they are momentary. As soon as I let my foot off them they stop and they are spring-loaded.

They LOOK like a dimmer switch that you might find in an old Jeep but they are not. I was told that some big rigs use them for wiper fluid but they are insanely high-rated for a wiper fluid pump motor. IIRC they were rated for like 50 amps continuous or something. (Insanely high for a solenoid valve, too. But oh well.) I will try to find a part number somewhere ... they were Echlin brand, I know that.