• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Review of D'Town Snowbird-Tellico Offroad Park

muddinmetal said:
The SRRS type events always have a trash infestation. I don't believe it has anything to do with the quantity of people, but the quality of people that attend these events. Casual "fans" looking for a good time instead of the appreciative, glad we have a place to wheel, type . if you get caught littering at any offroad park you should be forced to pickup 1 full bag of trash while wearing a bright safety yellow "I don't give a sh*t about the offroad community!" t-shirt, or get kicked the hell out!

Look at the last couple rides at Gray Rock: Fall for All, TONS of people, almost no trash. SRRS: TONS of people, trash every freakin' where :puke:

I want to be clear that I am not implying that SRRS is responsible for it. I think that the people that come out to watch the buggies who have no "skin in the game," are. What's ironic is that the competitors are so willing to completely trash their buggies for the viewing pleasure of these same people that wouldn't give a damn if they closed down every friggen venue that the drivers ride at.

Once, at WeRock entrance to Aetna, I was given a trash bag at checkin. No one else has ever done that. It made an impression on me. That simple jester would let everyone know what is expected, especially the non wheelers. Also have an assigned area, or dumpster, in which to dump/drop it on premisis.

When we were wheeling Jellico(most recently (miss it more than Tellico) spectators were not allowed in the park. The only people there were wheelers who paid to get in and ultimately wanted to come back. I'll let you all think about all the possible issues and problems that prevented, you shouldn't have to think very hard.

JohnG said:
Once, at WeRock entrance to Aetna, I was given a trash bag at checkin. No one else has ever done that. It made an impression on me. That simple jester would let everyone know what is expected, especially the non wheelers. Also have an assigned area, or dumpster, in which to dump/drop it on premisis.

I tailgate in the SEC generally 10 times a year and a lot of places do this ...key is do they come collect it later on.

muddinmetal said:
The SRRS type events always have a trash infestation. I don't believe it has anything to do with the quantity of people, but the quality of people that attend these events. Casual "fans" looking for a good time instead of the appreciative, glad we have a place to wheel, type . if you get caught littering at any offroad park you should be forced to pickup 1 full bag of trash while wearing a bright safety yellow "I don't give a sh*t about the offroad community!" t-shirt, or get kicked the hell out!

Look at the last couple rides at Gray Rock: Fall for All, TONS of people, almost no trash. SRRS: TONS of people, trash every freakin' where :puke:

Let's not single out SRRS events please. I've seen this sort of behavior at a lot of non SRRS events too! :-\

You bring up a good point here IMO worth discussing further:
muddinmetal said:
if you get caught littering at any offroad park you should be forced to pickup 1 full bag of trash while wearing a bright safety yellow "I don't give a sh*t about the offroad community!" t-shirt, or get kicked the hell out!

Brainstorming here; If we the wheeling community had a peer/sponsorship model to support good behavior in parks do you think it would work? What would it look like? How about if the parks themselves like D'Town created one? Would we support it? Would it work? What if a park had a sponsorship system where new members/visitors had to be sponsored by a proven entity that is already known for following the set forth rules, garbage included and such and only sponsored folks could wheel there? What would this system look like? What would the punishment look like for sponsored folks who break the rules, what about for those who sponsored them? Is something like this even worth looking at, sustainable, viable or worth our while to help "Police" this type of behavior that seems to be "enabled" since we allow it to happen?????? :dunno:

Though the police system sounds like a winner initally, how long before a brawl breaks out between the responsible wheelers who know what needs to be done to keep the area open and the jackleggs who are always gonna think they are above the system. I know myself, i wouldn't be the ideal "policeman", as after telling somebody more than 2-3 times to pick-up their trash, the situation would escalate. Though it may seem like i keep bringing up the hp buggy crowd in this, it's not them per say but the crowd that follows them for the most part that diminshes most places. As somebody else stated, they have no skin other than a small entrance fee(spectator usually) and are only there to drink and watch the crash, then go home not caring if they ever come back or not. I always packed out what i brought in, but if i paid x amount of dollars(20$ or above usually) to ride for a day, I damn sure wasn't interested in picking up others trash or getting in a bitch fest with some ass who thought the park was thier personal trash dump.

As far as the events are concerned,

Trash cans placed around the event course spectating area would go a long way to help keep the event area's cleaner. i would think most people would be more inclined to use them rather then piling up cans on the ground and instead of taking them with them just say'n f**k it and leaving them laying. yes it is more of a pain in the ass for the event promoters and land owners to deal with but it's obvious that you can't count on the crowds to pick up after themselves.

Good stuff! :dblthumb:

I totally agree on the trash and policing aspects! The ones at MMORV we're donated I believe by a club or clubs. Emptying them when they are full is another thing to consider and that takes staff and paying them. Also this is bear country and many animals have access to the area so trash cans could bring on a whole new meaning; chained to trees and/or even big containers to keep them put and huge lids with latching devices to keep most animals out....That would cost a bit too. :-\ As for the policing comment I can also see it escalating into something even more unwanted. And as ya said who wants to pay an entry fee and then be policing others trash when you go to wheel and have fun. I'm hearing some of the same feedback on other forums. Wouldn't a peer/sponsor setup negate folks having to police anyone other than who they sponsored though? Would or could this model even work? Personally I'd love nothing more than to bring a close friend who has like opinions on the matter and we wheel, have fun and clean up our mess as we go and leave it the same way we found it. What are some caveats of a peer/sponsor setup that you see?

The rockfall fall event at AOP had bags every were and people still would throw **** down 10 ft away from it not 1 bag was remotely full yet I picked up enough trash to fill my 4runners backseats and the rear section of the rig and had a couple bags on top of the cage and I know there were a couple more people that brought more trash down fact is most of the people that come dont care about the sport, land or if someone was gonna clean it up or close down the place I believe it should be in the waiver you sigh if caught littering either kicked out, made to clean up or be fined $100 that way might change their ways, I don't even throw my cigarette butts down I flip off the cherry and stick it in my pocket but those that don't wheel don't care plain and simple

krackem - i was at the rock fall event and didn't see a bag one. but i didn't wander around the course spectating area. we came in from the top, watched for about 30 minutes and went and rode some more.

Bman - i was talking about event specific trash cans. put em out for the event, put em up when it's over. I think AOP would benefit from this in particular, they seem to be put'n on a lot of events!

wizzo said:
Bman - i was talking about event specific trash cans. put em out for the event, put em up when it's over. I think AOP would benefit from this in particular, they seem to be put'n on a lot of events!

O I got ya now! thumb.gif

from my memories of tellico the "locals" (people within an hour or less) were the ones that trashed it the most, not sure why but that seems to be the case everywhere you go,i wonder how many people "travel" to spectate an event?? it seems to me that if you keep "the general public" out the problem will be mostly solved,sure you have dickheads that just dont care,and **** falls out of your ride that you might not intentionally litter,but im pretty sure no land owner that uses the land for so many different things wants is the place to become a trash dump,so im sure if that happens this oppurtunity will quickly pass.that said id like to come investigate the area so ill have to sign up for a ride,hopefully some "long" trails with some major obsticles will open up,having to drive 4+hrs to ride anywhere(augusta,ga. area) we like bang for our buck

To piggyback on the "locals" theme, I rode a new to me ATV park this past Sat afternoon. 2800 acres, lots of trails with room to add lots more. Spent about 3 hours riding around and only saw about 5 other riders. SAW plenty of evidence of past riders though, snagged about a case worth of beer cans along the trails and about a equal amount of water bottles. Thing about, there were trash bags hung in the trees occasionaly along the trails to put trash in, just nobody cares or bothers. Where ever the last gulp was taken was were the can/bottle was left. I know this place hasn't seen much non-local traffic yet as it is still a relative unknown. It's DAMN HARD to change some people's ways of treating other peoples property!

Ride #2 is this upcoming weekend. Suppose to have a bulldozer out there doing some work around the bowl area so we'll see what is done. :driving:

BMan said:
Ride #2 is this upcoming weekend. Suppose to have a bulldozer out there doing some work around the bowl area so we'll see what is done. :driving:
I will talk to you next week to see what changed, headed to Tn. in the morning for 3 days of wheeling. Have fun Brian.

mdo817 said:
I will talk to you next week to see what changed, headed to Tn. in the morning for 3 days of wheeling. Have fun Brian.

10-4 Mark! A bulldozer is suppose to be out there clearing some area around the bowl. I'll make sure I take pics and such. I'm not going to wheel hard! I may even drive the TJ up if all my maintenance and upgrades go well today. :driving: