• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

reworking the buggy

yeah, doin the baja... we're hosting this year's west comp, so my activity has risen greatly...lol... From what i remember when i did a bunch of research last year and this year for shocks the fox's didn't have as much adjustability as the walkers... But if you can adjust the nitrogen pressure i would play around with that... If you can change the valving then let me know and i'll pass on all the information i know, and share what we've gone through... If you do start playing with the nitrogen pressure make sure you have the shocks unloaded, as the oil has no problem coming out the shraeder valve... bad deal!

I'm not understanding how a Walker shock has so much more adjustability than a fox? Please explain.

I'm not understanding how a Walker shock has so much more adjustability than a fox? Please explain.

The fox models we were looking at buying didn't give us the ability to take the shock apart and change the valving (rebound/compression rates)... where as the walkers we can take apart, change the shims on the rebound/compression sides, change the orientation of the valve, change the oil levels, oil viscosities... I know that each shock model is different, but from the picture it looked like the same 2.0 air shocks that we looked at, just longer.

The fox models we were looking at buying didn't give us the ability to take the shock apart and change the valving (rebound/compression rates)... where as the walkers we can take apart, change the shims on the rebound/compression sides, change the orientation of the valve, change the oil levels, oil viscosities... I know that each shock model is different, but from the picture it looked like the same 2.0 air shocks that we looked at, just longer.

You can do the same with the FOX (and most, if not all) of the other higher end shocks and c/o's (Swayaway, FOX, King, Radflo, Bilstein, Walker, etc.). For the FOX units you can also run different bleed pistons to change there characteristics.

You can do the same with the FOX (and most, if not all) of the other higher end shocks and c/o's (Swayaway, FOX, King, Radflo, Bilstein, Walker, etc.). For the FOX units you can also run different bleed pistons to change there characteristics.

i found that very same thing out, but when i talked to the Fox rep, the size we were looking at only had external adjustment, could have been the rep. i was talking with was didn't understand what i was asking or he was a douche.

progress on the front cage. any suggestions? Im thinking about putting a cross bar between the shock hoops. Should there be a vetical support under the cross hoop on the front of the motor?

newfrontcage.jpg

looks good! I would roll the shock tabs down under the hoop, and throw some tube over the engine just as added protection... If you leave the tabs where they are, and the added tube will be in tension, where as if you roll the tabs under the hoop it'll be incompression. Thus adding to the regidity of the frame, and transfer of the forces better from one side to the other... Just something to think about:;

looks good! I would roll the shock tabs down under the hoop, and throw some tube over the engine just as added protection... If you leave the tabs where they are, and the added tube will be in tension, where as if you roll the tabs under the hoop it'll be incompression. Thus adding to the regidity of the frame, and transfer of the forces better from one side to the other... Just something to think about

Looks good on paper however in this situation there were some trade offs. The angle of the sock hoop had to be that to come up from the frame and miss the intake. The shock tabs had to be in their configuration so that the tire doesn't rub the shocks under articulation.

As far as tube over the motor, yes, just picked up a stick of .095 x 1.25 and am going to go crazy with it.

Thanks for the input.

C

Looks good on paper however in this situation there were some trade offs. The angle of the sock hoop had to be that to come up from the frame and miss the intake. The shock tabs had to be in their configuration so that the tire doesn't rub the shocks under articulation.

As far as tube over the motor, yes, just picked up a stick of .095 x 1.25 and am going to go crazy with it.

Thanks for the input.

C

:awesomework:

damn.. looks sexy. i would run a crossbar between the two hoops just for fun. the vertical tube in front of the motor may be necessary as well, but i like the look of it now. nice work.

I put the tubes over the motor on hold to do another operation. The rockers were getting tired and frowning most of the time so they had to go.

bentrocker.jpg

4 sawzall blades and 7 cut off wheels later.

cutoutrocker.jpg

Nice spanky new .125 wall tube. Sticks out quarter inch so when I put panels on, the bottom edges wont snag on stuff.

newrocker.jpg

Last edited: