• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ring and Pinion ?

you should be able to get that pin machined off and then drilled to fit the tbe pins if you can find a good machinest......paging ZukBilly

personally i wouldn't use 5.29's in a toyota, taking a marginal diff and making it as weak as possible is a bad idea imo.......get your gearing in the t-cases if possible and go for maximum strength in the diffs

Good luck with zuk billy he's so busy ud think he'd been hanging out with a one armed meth midget the way he's always going going going molaugh

Re: Re: Re: Ring and Pinion ?

krackem said:
Also why are 529s bad heard of a lot of people using remember newb to this gear ****

Basically, as you increase gear ratio, the pinion gets smaller (because the ring gear is a fixed size).

This makes it "easier" on the upstream drivetrain (less torque input to the diff required to generate same output torque), but makes it "harder"on the gears.

It's the same with all diffs, its just that Toyota diffs are not particularly strong to begin with, so when you put lower gears in, they are more likely to break.

The numbers 85-3-15 on that pinion are consistant with the markings on factory toyota gearsets. That looks like a factory 4:11 or 4:10 pinion to me. I really doubt that it has 15 teeth. I bet it has either 9 or 10 teeth.

I've had good luck with 5.29's. I've broke a few sets over the years, but I've done a LOT of wheeling without any problems. I've seen a lot 4:11's break as well. It's a toyota 8" axle, you got to respect it's limits. I drive my junk on the street, so I've always needed the lower axle gears to pull the bigger tires on the road.

Just remember this, a poorly set up diff is gonna be weak regardless of the ratio. Whatever you choose, make sure it's built right. thumb.gif

Thanks blue toy I'm pro ally gonna run the 529s since the front i s set up correctly and I'll have some one do the rear unless some thing changes

Latest posts