• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwell Detroit

race10

I have a Detroit I'm wanting to run in the rear axle with pinion breaks but I'm kinda nervous about how it's going to work. Any body else run them in the rear?

What is in the front?

Welded rear/locker front works for us. Guy with welded frnt/rear has turning issues compared to me, same width wheelbase tire. I was told by folk wiser than me that I would not like a locker front and rear due to pinion brake noise (chatter), So I have an extra locker on the shelf for aforementioned guy.

Don't do it it will unlock leaving you with no brakes I have had a Detroit for years in the front with no problems until awhile back at Harlan and I broke a front inner and trying to back down tailgate my Detroit kept opening and causing no front brakes so I'm going to pull it and weld the front

That's what I was afraid of. I have a Detroit for the front also. Looks like I'm gonna be doing some welding.

Your going to wish you had rear steer after you weld both ends, rocks have a shotty turning radius when welded on both ends!!Try the locker till you have problems then weld it, in the mean time save ya pennies for another steering axle.I've drove them welded with a straight rear, and it's pretty terrible in tight trails a lot of backing up and turning

Never run a Detroit I always welded them..... But as mentioned ,to help the steering I jus twin stocked mine an drive around like a front wheel drive car an when I needed it I just bumped the rear into gear.
Put it this way.... My new buggy will have rear steer but I'm still gone run the twin stick. It takes steering rockwells to the next level in my opinion.

race10 said:
I have rear steer in it.

In that case weld it and never look back. Mine is welded without rear steer. I just leave the front engaged and dig around corners in tight trails like slytowncrawler2.
My old Jeep had a Detroit in the front. A few times I would gas it and end up with one tire in the air spinning while I had the pinion brakes mashed hard.
If you hit the gas while it's spinning the locker will engage and the teeth have to try to stop a 44" tire spinning. SNAP!

If you have rear steer then weld it, mine welded with the front kicked out will turn sharper than anything I've ever had, I thought you were asking about a straight rear.

race10 said:
I have rear steer in it.

Definitely weld both ends if you have front and rear steer.

I had a locker in the front of mine and welded rear with pinion brakes. At the Cable hill race a few years back i broke a front AND a rear axle shaft at the same time. Only had one wheel on the whole buggy that was grabbing when i pushed the brakes after that happened. :****: Good thing i had the rear welded or i wouldnt of had any brakes at all. :spin:

Randys Rock Rods said:
Definitely weld both ends if you have front and rear steer.

I had a locker in the front of mine and welded rear with pinion brakes. At the Cable hill race a few years back i broke a front AND a rear axle shaft at the same time. Only had one wheel on the whole buggy that was grabbing when i pushed the brakes after that happened. :****: Good thing i had the rear welded or i wouldnt of had any brakes at all. :spin:
my point exactly weld it up

That's what I was thinking. I just hoped I'd be wrong. Looks like I'll be welding them.