• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rubicon trail,best way to get there

rockmike

Hey Guys Im sure and handfull or you guys on here have been to the Rubicon latley.I never have, but want to make a trip this summer.Just wandering what y'all would reccomend for the route to take and how long y'all think the drive will be.

Sure appreciate any info you could give me on this trek.

Thanks,Mike.

Keep in mind,im leaving from the Tri citys.Playing around with google map.One route takes me west then go up 97 to Goldendale,then to Bend,then up to Mt Shasta,then on to I 5 drive through Cali into Placerville

The other route has me go to pendalton up through the mountains to Burns and then to Reno then go into Cali.

Just not sure wich would be the best route,I understand the Cali highways are just horrid as far as condition...pretty scary driving dodging potholes and such...do you guys concure this issue.

What do y'all think is my best route to take?

Thanks,Mike.

I've done this drive a bunch. 2 main options - I5 to 50, or 97 to 395.

I-5 south to Sacramento then east on 50 up towards Tahoe. IMO, this route the roads are in better shape, but more traffic, and the passes are tougher if you have a mediocre tow rig. The Siskious and Hwy 50 are pretty steep.

Hwy 97 to 395 is very remote and has little traffic. Not much in the way of mountain passes either.

I usually take 97 to 395. Nicer drive.

We did it in one shot--easy trip (like 14 hours).

Down I-5 to sac and then up 50. Spent 3 days on the trail and that was about perfect.

Sure appreciate the great info,exactly what i was looking for.Im pulling with a 93 d350 DRW cummins thats hopped up a bit:redneck:I can pull the hills decent...mostly interested in the easiest on equipment drive...it is an old truck and still pretty new to me.

Thanks again guys!

If y'all got any more info or suggestions ya think I should know before I make the trek please speak up.:awesomework:

There are a few good pulls and if I remember correctly the hardest ones are after you get off 50--slow twisty stuff. I broke down on one of them :haha:

I drove from the trail head back to Everett with out stopping(except for gas)took 17 hours,wont do that again :eeek:

Sure appreciate the great info,exactly what i was looking for.Im pulling with a 93 d350 DRW cummins thats hopped up a bit:redneck:I can pull the hills decent...mostly interested in the easiest on equipment drive...it is an old truck and still pretty new to me.

Thanks again guys!

If y'all got any more info or suggestions ya think I should know before I make the trek please speak up.:awesomework:

I would advise to park your tow rig & trailer at the END of the trail and whichever side that is depending on how you run it.

This way, when you are done, you can load up and leave. Not have to worry about getting back to where ever your truck is especially if you decided to beat your rig on some of the more fun obstacles on the trail.

If you do the 50 drive from Georgetown down to Icehouse road there is a Gnarly grade you have to pull. 8 or 9 % IIRC?

We did the " Down I-5 to sac and then up 50" also.
Two days (drove myself would be a LONG one dayer).
Climbed Shasta at dusk coming home :cool: view.

I would advise to park your tow rig & trailer at the END of the trail and whichever side that is depending on how you run it.

This way, when you are done, you can load up and leave. Not have to worry about getting back to where ever your truck is especially if you decided to beat your rig on some of the more fun obstacles on the trail.

If you do the 50 drive from Georgetown down to Icehouse road there is a Gnarly grade you have to pull. 8 or 9 % IIRC?

Try having your tow rig crap out on ya on that grade :haha:

We drove straight down, unloaded, did the roundup and then wheeled the box before crashing for the night :haha:

Im leaving Aug.7th stop@ eugene, or. crash for the night at some friends place.Head to Reno,get a motel,do some gamblin.Hit the trail the next day through Tahoe side.head into the Rubicon and set up camp at Buck island and wheel are ass's off.I have a source that claims demo starts possibly late that week.:booo:Last chance to run the real! Rubicon trail.:;

I am leaving for the trail this month on the 9th and then doing deer valley. What sucks I was only 2 hours from all the trails before, until I was transferred to everett.

Im leaving Aug.7th stop@ eugene, or. crash for the night at some friends place.Head to Reno,get a motel,do some gamblin.Hit the trail the next day through Tahoe side.head into the Rubicon and set up camp at Buck island and wheel are ass's off.I have a source that claims demo starts possibly late that week.:booo:Last chance to run the real! Rubicon trail.:;

What "demo" :eeek:

What "demo" :eeek:

Probably the Little Sluice. Been talk on other forums of it being returned to its more historic state before the boulders were dropped in.

Or its the Water and Abatement Order work being done on drainage. Making some sections into more mild driving. Rock Stackers Union hard at work.

I'm headed down in September with a few other Land cruisers. Rumor has it you should avoid parking tow rigs/trailers near the trailheads due to theft/vandalism? Any truth to that? Someone suggested finding someone in the area to stash your rig while you're on the trail.

David

Lots of info on trailer parking on Pirate4x4 in their Rubicon section. A popular place is CBR (Crystal Basin Resort) formerly Rob's Resort on the West side of the trail. There are some places in Tahoe for parking on the East side.