• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

running coolant through 2X4 frame to rear mount rad

AllGoNoShow

I am building a buggy and do not have room to mount a rad in the front. I want to run the coolant through the frame. The entire main frame is made from 2x4 3/16'' rectangular tubing. I know a lot of guys do it with 1.75 round, but I am wondering if there will be an issue with doing it with 2X4? I guess I am wondering if it will be able to move through that much volume. It is running a mild, big inch BBF and will be used for trails/local mud races/dairy queen runs. Will the stock Ford pump keep up and be able to move that coolant?

Of course opinions are like assholes but my buggy has same frame rails and I've been running 1 inch gates heater hose from front to back for about 4 yrs!!! Clamp it and keep it out of harm's way my $.02 for what its worth

tonybolton said:
My luck....there'd be a pin hole / cut in one that was completely inaccessible. :(
It's never inaccessible.... attach new hose and pull it through w old one.... or use a fish tape to pull new one in.

Re: Re: running coolant through 2X4 frame to rear mount rad

gottagofast said:
It's never inaccessible.... attach new hose and pull it through w old one.... or use a fish tape to pull new one in.
Jus seems aggravating .... I'd find some way to get it ****ed up and jammed up in there

Mr. leafspring said:
Of course opinions are like assholes but my buggy has same frame rails and I've been running 1 inch gates heater hose from front to back for about 4 yrs!!! Clamp it and keep it out of harm's way my $.02 for what its worth

That is good to know. So you used the 1'' to go through the frame rails, what did you use to adapt to the bigger inlet/oulet of the radiator and water pump. Thanks for the replies guys.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Just take and weld a piece of bent tubing to the side of each frame rail to match the shape of the 2x4.

Have considered that also, would just look cleaner if I can get it hidden in the frame rails. The interior is already really tight with the BBF sitting right next to me, don't need more **** cluttering things up. There is not a lot of footwell, might even have to run a hand throttle.

AllGoNoShow said:
Have considered that also, would just look cleaner if I can get it hidden in the frame rails. The interior is already really tight with the BBF sitting right next to me, don't need more **** cluttering things up. There is not a lot of footwell, might even have to run a hand throttle.
damn lets see a pic?

Almost every Jesse Haines buggy runs 2x3 frame rails with the coolant running through them. There are hundreds of pics on his Facebook. I think the chassis Goatbuilt is helping him mass produce is meant to be done the same.

fordcontraption01 said:
damn lets see a pic?

Had all my pics on photobucket. It is a full tube chassis with a 37 chev cab that has had a 9'' reverse chop done on it, original patina. BBF, C6, 205, D60, sterling 10.25. Cut 44'' boggers on double bead locked H1's. Gonna run fuel injection this time, have run propane in the past. I am 5'9 175 and it was built to fit me. No one any bigger will fit in it. Going to be licensed. 5'8 roof height with the 44's on it. Will have about 4'' up travel.

sleepsontoilet said:
Almost every Jesse Haines buggy runs 2x3 frame rails with the coolant running through them. There are hundreds of pics on his Facebook. I think the chassis Goatbuilt is helping him mass produce is meant to be done the same.

I am a non face booker, thanks for the info. I am starting to feel better about this. Thanks guys.

AllGoNoShow said:
Had all my pics on photobucket. It is a full tube chassis with a 37 chev cab that has had a 9'' reverse chop done on it, original patina. BBF, C6, 205, D60, sterling 10.25. Cut 44'' boggers on double bead locked H1's. Gonna run fuel injection this time, have run propane in the past. I am 5'9 175 and it was built to fit me. No one any bigger will fit in it. Going to be licensed. 5'8 roof height with the 44's on it. Will have about 4'' up travel.

post a link your photobucket, or just "post" a pic as you normally would.

You can still click on the "Photobucket error picture" and look at the photo album

clemsonjeep said:
Couldn't you just run a piece of 1.75 thin wall through the 2x4?
It would have to be bent & put in before welding the rectangle around it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

paradisepwoffrd said:
It would have to be bent & put in before welding the rectangle around it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep, if it were a straight line it would work.