• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sammy Power

NotSoPC

I was wondering what some of the better motors would be to swap into a Sammy? The 1.3's are slow, but will work for now. I was thinking of the 1.6 but is it really that much better? I have heard of 4.3's and other V6's, but that just seems like a lot of extra lbs to have in front. Does anyone know how hard the 2.0 swap is or about how much it would cost? After the axle blow up I will be putting in the yota axles I have as well. I think a 4BT Cummins would be cool but once again that is a lot of lbs.

I was wondering what some of the better motors would be to swap into a Sammy? The 1.3's are slow, but will work for now. I was thinking of the 1.6 but is it really that much better? I have heard of 4.3's and other V6's, but that just seems like a lot of extra lbs to have in front. Does anyone know how hard the 2.0 swap is or about how much it would cost? After the axle blow up I will be putting in the yota axles I have as well. I think a 4BT Cummins would be cool but once again that is a lot of lbs.

If you are keeping stock wheelbase you want as much weight up front as you can get. Trust Me. 4.3 is the way to go :awesomework: Thats what mine is getting anyways.

If you are keeping stock wheelbase you want as much weight up front as you can get. Trust Me. 4.3 is the way to go :awesomework: Thats what mine is getting anyways.

I got a guy here at work who has a Vortec 4.3 and a tbi 4.3 both in blazers for 600 for both. Wouldn't that put the T-case a ways back? What trans?

I am going to run a 4l60e and a atlas. No matter what you are looking at a short rear driveline but if yo set it up properly and have little axle wrap you should be fine.

I am running a 350 th400 and dana 20 in my willys with a 85 inch whelbase I think you can.

I do not think you should have any problems.

Well I may have to look into it a bit. I also think it would be cool as hell to run a GSXR 1000 or 1300 in but dont think I want to do the fab to make it work. Or do I:scratchhead:

Come to think of it I know a guy who has a 750 GSXR that is all messed up that I think I could get for cheap and I kinda have an idea of how I would do it. This may be something to look into as it would be one of a kind and I think it could work well. Can you say slap shifter in a sammy:fawkdancesmiley:

I have been running a rebuilt 1.3 with high compression pistons and a high rev cam for about 5 years now. It gets me most everywhere that I want to go. It is kind of nice since it doesn't have the power to break things, I haven't broke a single Toy axle since I put them in 7 years ago. More power would be nice but it isn't a necessity if you're on a budget then I would build the rest of the Sami first then do a engine swap. If you are not on a budget then the world is yours. The Cummins would be badass but I bet you would have some issues fitting it in there without some serious work, another cool swap is the VW 1.9 turbo diesel, it slips right in.:smile:

If you're wanting diesel, the 1.9TDI is a good swap...but can be expensive; the Suzuki 2.0L swap can also be an expensive venture--with good results if done right; the 1.6 8v or 16v is a much more reasonable swap $$wise, and you gain significant power, especially with the 16v; I like Fordzuki's EFI 2.3L swap---good power, dirt cheap if you're resourseful, and parts are easily available as well...
Me, still running 1.3L of chipmunk fury!!! (Can't seem to blow it up!!!:haha:)---have a complete 16v donor rig thanks to Drone637 on here!:D

I run an injected 1600/16v. I love it, 'bout twice the power of my stocker, runs beautifullly smooth at any RPM, angle, and starts first time every time. I love my 'zuki and this way it's all zook till the new axles go under.:D

My friend Bill's was a posterchild on IZook for along time, he swapped a big 4cyl diesel (can't remember the displacement) outa a Toyota (Previa I think)into his, did a real nice job. It'll climp steep ass hills in 5th gear on the road and gets like 30-35 MPG.

My Willy's is 82" hub to hub. toy axles wrangler s/o.

Short wheelbases like a little weight up front IMO. I'm running a vortec 4 V6 with a turbo 350 tranny, and a dana 20 t-case. So far its been a great bullet proof setup. Little engines, and low gears are O.K., but being able to spin those tires, and launch up stuff is really nice on occasion. Also if you like the idea of propane, a 10 gallon tank should lay down between your wheel wells.

Oh, yea, you will wanna keep the engine as far forward as possible. I'm not running a standard fan, just an elec. pusher up front, even had to grind the grill out a little to fit the motor. Rear driveline should be just long enough. Unless you get too flexy, then you'll need to stretch out.

Front drive line might be O.K. if shackle are up front. I did a shackle reversal, and had to get long splines, becouse they would bottom out one way, and fall apart the other.

Last edited:
Yes, you need to swap axles, the stock Sami stuff barely holds its own with the 1.3s and 1.6 swaps, anything bigger is asking for broken parts.

1.6 is a nice easy weekend swap and not too bad on the pocket book if you can find a good engine at a decent price.

2.0 is a decent swap too, call Brent at Trail Tough.

VW diesel is a pretty kick-ass swap, but as mentioned above, can get pretty spendy. Great mileage out of them though.

2.3 Ford is a great engine, but at the same weight or more as many V-6s, not worth the weight increase for not as much displacement.

4.3 Chevy is also great engine, but a 90* block, so it has to sit fairly high to clear frame rails.

2.8/2.9/4.0 Ford V-6 is a great V-6 swap, 60* blocks so they fit right down in the frame rails. The 2.8 and 2.9 have had some overheating issues (until you drill the heads) but provide decent power and torque. The 4.0 is the cats meow, big power and torque (for a Samurai) in a small package. And there are Ford V-6 engine mounts available that allow you to bolt the block right to the Sami frame in the OE holes. :D

no mention of the 60deg v6's?
im realy thinking 3.4l .... rwd are iron block and easy to swap, still narow and lighter than 4.3
fwd, is a lot more work to swap but alum and prob not to much heavyer...

The 302 idea crossed my mind but I dont think I want that much HP in that short of a rig. I have talked to a buddy of mine and he said do a 1.6 or rebuild the 1.3. This may be the way I go for now cause I dont feel like busting the axles all the time and yota axles will not be in until next winter. One thing I was also thinking about was a turbo. Would the 1.3 hold up to that? I also plan on YJ springs SOA and some 33-10.5's when I swap the axles.

Last edited:
I run the 1.6L 16V fuel injected engine in my rig. Going from the stock motor to this one was a huge difference. I run 32x11.5 BFG mud terrian, 4.57 gears and when I had the stock t case I could easily burn off the rear tires on pavement. Now that I have the 4:1 tcase in I can only do that on dirt.

Definately want to go with the yota axles, I'm running a 1600/16v, 6.5:1 case, lockers and 33's, can't keep a stock axle in the thing. 0 fer 3 last few times out and I'm done, gathering parts fer the swap.:D

I swapped in the 1.6L 16valve and ran that motor for a few years. Its a great swap, very easy and doent cost a ton of money. There is a huge power gain from the 1.3 motor.
Two years ago I swapped in a 4.3L vortec from an S-10 blazer also running the 4L60E trans and Toyota T-case. I totally love the power of the 4.3 and wish I would have did this swap first. The 4.3 cost a lot more and was a ton of work but was so worth it.

Heres my engine swap thread from another forum.
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=10651

Bottom line if you have the time and money I would go with the 4.3

Time is not really an issue, but money could be as I have a kid on the way. For right now I think I will run the 1.3 till it dies then go 1.6 16V. I have yota axles for it that I would love to put in, but it has a Calmini 5" spring under lift. I dont really want to set the yota's up for spring under but dont want to run the lift as a SOA cause that would be way more lift then I want. I want to do YJ springs with the axles but dont know what all is needed and would have to pull the parts together. As it sits now I dont really think it flex's enough. I pulled the left front and right rear up on some green steel ramps we have and that was about all it had. Each ramp is about 10 inches tall. Would some missing links in the rear get that much more out of it?