• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sawing trees

greenie

i hate it when you come to a spot in a more difficult trail where last time you almost got stuck on this big log in the trail, and now its sawed clear out of the way.

"well this trail's gotten pretty lame, now where do we go...."

people might think they're doing wheelers a favor or somethin, but it just works more against you.

The prevailing mentality is to cut recent deadfalls out of the way, to prevent bypasses being constructed around obstacles. Keeping the trail "open" is more important in most people's mind, than causing detours, bypasses and corridor damage.

If you talk with DNR folks very often, the mindset I've gotten from them is along these lines: The existing corridor is considered already "lost" to timber harvesting. Ergo, keep the trail where it is, so that the remaining forrest is harvestable. The exceptions arise when sedimentary damage (washout) threaten nearby streams. Since most of the fun trails are on hills, or hillsides, teh washouts can travel for noticable lenghts. Therefore DNR really doesn't like erossion concerns. When washouts are too extreme, then DNR wants either the trail moved, bridged, or shut down.

The problem is exaccerbated due to the huge difference in vehicle capability. Since a realitively stock rig has 29 inch tall tires, a modified, late model rig may come with 31s or 32s, and a lifted rig may have 33s. Then you get built rigs with 36s, 37s, 39s, 42s... etc you have a huge disparity in capability. What I easily climb over with my locked up on 37s may become an impassible obsticle for someone in a stock TJ.

So, get used to having trees cut out of the way.

I'm not for it. But it's better to keep the trails open than to create unneeded bypasses

oh yeah, i can understand all that. im just talkin bout the trails rated most difficult, or should be, and some dude in his stock TJ or whatever is runnin this thing through, no problem, kickin ass (we've all been there) middle of summer when traction is good, and then he comes across this tree. the tree is obviously too big for his rig, but theres a few marks in it where he can see other rigs have gone across it.
so what should this guy do?

oh yeah, i can understand all that. im just talkin bout the trails rated most difficult, or should be, and some dude in his stock TJ or whatever is runnin this thing through, no problem, kickin ass (we've all been there) middle of summer when traction is good, and then he comes across this tree. the tree is obviously too big for his rig, but theres a few marks in it where he can see other rigs have gone across it.
so what should this guy do?

Let some stoner hop in it and do it for him:flipoff:

Chop it out of the way. Trails are for everybody. Not just the elite, I have a big tire crowd.

Chop it out of the way. Trails are for everybody. Not just the elite, I have a big tire crowd.

Bullshit, if you are on a trail marked "most difficult" in a stockish rig you have no place there. Stay to the lighter trails unless you are equipped for what you are about to encounter. There is a trail rating system in place for a reason, not just so you have something else to look at entering a trail. :rolleyes:

Bullshit, if you are on a trail marked "most difficult" in a stockish rig you have no place there. Stay to the lighter trails unless you are equipped for what you are about to encounter. There is a trail rating system in place for a reason, not just so you have something else to look at entering a trail. :rolleyes:

Its a big old catch 22. Who's to say the log is supposed to be there?

Unless its somehow market---as like any trail its removed.

I love hopping over logs and I refuse to go around--I will get over it IMO...

I get your point and like you I don't worry about the logs either. But if you are on a trail that is marked as difficult then just go over the damned thing, it is a trail obstacle after all...

I get your point and like you I don't worry about the logs either. But if you are on a trail that is marked as difficult then just go over the damned thing, it is a trail obstacle after all...

I agree. But on the same light--and it just clicked in my head. You can easily tell the difference between a log that has been there a long time/short time vs. a recent log. Plus if its off the ground--it should be removed because every log I have ran across thats off the groung--you aint getting over (Usually top is grill hiegth)

Sure, it is usually very easy to tell the difference between a fresh fall and old timber that's been driven over for years. I generally don't get too worried about a log that's off the ground unless it's a big one more than about 3' off the ground... That big dumb nose pick that people like to talk **** about makes the log slide down into my tires and I go right over. :redneck:

There is no trail rating system on all trails so how do you know when you start out? I still stand by my 1st responce. I pay for the trails too, so I want to go where ever I want.

There is no trail rating system on all trails so how do you know when you start out? I still stand by my 1st responce. I pay for the trails too, so I want to go where ever I want.

And with a properly equiped rig--you can do just that :;

I have a 94 rodeo with no lift, lockers or lower gearing. Just 33's stuffed on it, I take it out to play now and again but I sure as fawk know better than to take in on any hard trails... If you don't know an area you may want to do some research first... I know I wouldn't take my rig down to the hammers because I know enough about the area to know it ain't gonna work. I suggest you do the same. :;

I still stand by my 1st responce. I pay for the trails too, so I want to go where ever I want.

Just because you pay taxes doesn't give you the right to go offroad on any public land you want.You can't drive your 4x4 on the bike trails either for example.....To answer your question "how do I know?" it's easy. Drive up the trail until you can't make it any further without changing the trail. Then turn around, the trail is over your head.:awesomework:

Well you guys are not fair, I should just gather up my friends and start a new association and get the trails open for all. How about "4x4 for all" We can be a big force and go and whine to the State powers, form work parties to level the trails out so we can make it, and start our own forum. How about a motto. All trails all the time. :D