• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sbc 350tbi external fuel pump

e4cutler

I've got a Holly Blue Electric fuel pump currently but it's starting to go out so I'm looking to replace it. From the research I've done, the consensus is this motor needs 11 - 14 psi fuel pressure but I haven't found what the gallons per hour rate should be. I called Quantum Fuel Systems and they're telling me the only option I have that they offer is this Walbro GSL 395.
http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-22342501-walbro-gsl395-130lph-inline-external-fuel-pump-w-400-939-installation-kit-tbi-15psi.html?ref=search:http%3A%2F%2Fwww.highflowfuel.com%2Fsearch.html%3Fq%3DGSL-395%26go%3DGo

My only issue with it is that it doesn't have a warranty. Does anyone have experience with this fuel pump or would you recommend something different?

My motor is out of a 1990 Chevy K1500, not sure if that matters.

The fuel pressure is set by the regulator in the back of the throttle body...
Gph requirement won't be much... About any fuel pump for fuel injection should work..

Fwiw the stock fuel pump on my 99 Powerstroke has no problem holding 65 psi so one of those should work fine

Been running a TBI350 in my 85 Toyota for several years now. Gottgofast is right, just about any fuel injection pump will work. A Walbro inline pump is what I'm running currently but carry a pump from a Fox body mustang. Ran the Ford pump for a while and know several other people that use them so it makes trail repairs super easy. You can adjust the fuel pressure by changing the spring in the regulator. There is also a mod that can be done to make it adjustable. I never really saw the need for a trail truck.

scooter60 said:
Been running a TBI350 in my 85 Toyota for several years now. Gottgofast is right, just about any fuel injection pump will work. A Walbro inline pump is what I'm running currently but carry a pump from a Fox body mustang. Ran the Ford pump for a while and know several other people that use them so it makes trail repairs super easy. You can adjust the fuel pressure by changing the spring in the regulator. There is also a mod that can be done to make it adjustable. I never really saw the need for a trail truck.

Which Walbro pump are you running?

Punkin85 said:
Which Walbro pump are you running?

I have the GSL392......bought from ebay for around $90 including shipping. I think the ford pumps are about the same price. For what it is worth the ford pump is designed as an inline frame rail pump. Just make sure they are both mounted as close to the cell as possible and make sure it is below the cell as stated in other Tech threads. They don't like to pull fuel.

scooter60 said:
I have the GSL392......bought from ebay for around $90 including shipping. I think the ford pumps are about the same price. For what it is worth the ford pump is designed as an inline frame rail pump. Just make sure they are both mounted as close to the cell as possible and make sure it is below the cell as stated in other Tech threads. They don't like to pull fuel.

Thanks for the tip. Mine will be mounted only a few inches from the fuel cell but it will have to pull the fuel up out of the cell as the hose connections are on top of the fuel cell.

Punkin85 said:
Thanks for the tip. Mine will be mounted only a few inches from the fuel cell but it will have to pull the fuel up out of the cell as the hose connections are on top of the fuel cell.

That is the way mine is. I used an old factory Gm tank for a while that I altered to pull the fuel out of the top after the internal pump quit. I now use an RCI cell that also pulls from the top. I just make sure not to starve the pump and I always run a 100micron prefilter to keep things clean and happy. Also make sure to keep the pump as far from heat souces as possible.

Pulling fuel out of the top of the tank is the norm but any time you can mount the pump lower than the tank it is better.

gottagofast said:
Pulling fuel out of the top of the tank is the norm but any time you can mount the pump lower than the tank it is better.
It'll be mounted from at the bottom of the tank or lower on the frame rail. Thanks for the tip.