• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on bush hogs

L

lowbudgetjunk

I bought small 25 hp diesel tractor to do work around the house. It has a front loader on it, but I need to get a hush hog. I am guessing 6 foot is way too big for it. That leaves me with a 4 or 5 foot option. Is a 5 footer gonna be too much? Any brand to look out for?

4' will be the most efficient probably if you go to big you will have to drive slower! My dad had a 28 hp kubota and all 5' implements it will do it but sometimes it's just to much for it!

x2 on 4ft. takes around 30-35hp to run a 5ft hog effectively. 25hp will run it but, tractor will be under stress and eventually burn motor up.

Thanks fellas. It has a 4 foot loader, guess that should have been my first sign. Brands?

Depends on what tractor older tractors seem to be a little more powerful than the newer ones I have a 5 ft bushhog I would sell cheap if you want to try one out

Howse is a good one, we have one used only for a deer camp tractor and it has taken a beating and held up great. Woods is another good unit, I still use one my grandfather bought at least 25 years ago, maybe closer to 30 years ago.

well everyone has opinions so her is mine I HAVE A 6FT A 7FT A 8FT AND EVEN A 14FT HOGG AND I WILL HOOK MY 3610 FORD TO ANY OF THEM ANY GIVEN TIME FOR 20 YEARS NOW AND HAVENT BROKE NUTHIN YET my uncle has a 28 hp kubota 4x4 frt. loader and we pull the 7ft all the time :dblthumb: :dblthumb:jus sayin id go with a medium 6ft atleast

Mr. leafspring said:
well everyone has opinions so her is mine I HAVE A 6FT A 7FT A 8FT AND EVEN A 14FT HOGG AND I WILL HOOK MY 3610 FORD TO ANY OF THEM ANY GIVEN TIME FOR 20 YEARS NOW AND HAVENT BROKE NUTHIN YET my uncle has a 28 hp kubota 4x4 frt. loader and we pull the 7ft all the time :dblthumb: :dblthumb:jus sayin id go with a medium 6ft atleast
I have a L4600 kubota with a loaded and only have a 6' you make me feel like I'm not getting everything out of it! :****: haha

Depends a lot on what your trying to do with it. Clearing land 4' or just keeping grass knocked down. If it mostly grass I'd go as big as tractor will pick up and still turn. And you can always go pull type and take care of that. We have a 6' medium duty and the that's all the 8n wants to pick up. Still has power to pull it but you got to remember how far back a lot of the weight is with a bush hog.

We bought a new Kodiak 6' with 90 HP gear box. Like it a lot. Built in Athens TN.

Used is a toss up. If gear box has oil and no signs of leaking would t be scared of it for 2 or 3 times a year. Also check the blades. We had one wear the shaft and stump jumper and it would move a couple inches up and down at the blade tips.

The equipment place at the second cullman exit has bushhogs that appear to be built well.a 5ft is about 600 i believe. If your tractor is an older model, look at the fuel pump. Theyll be two screws with jam nuts on them and wire tags.one is top rpm, dont change it. The other will bring the fuel on much harder. Thats the one you want to adjust. Not all are like this, but several are. Id turn it up a little and run a 5 ft with it. Youre not gonna burn it up, just give it a little and youll be alright

kushKrawlin said:
Oh god. Kel. Just wear a dam helmet. And get a tiny one. That way U don't kill Ur self. My dad seems to think they are made for cutting trees down about 7" in diameter. U should hear that ****. Haha

And a seat belt. I can cut most of it with my zero turn Toro, I just don't want to cross the ditch with it. I will be cutting every two weeks about three acres. I plan to cut the other/flatter section with the Toro. It has been a great mower for me and will cut pretty fast. I just don't want to kill it over slightly rougher terrain.

lowbudgetjunk said:
And a seat belt. I can cut most of it with my zero turn Toro, I just don't want to cross the ditch with it. I will be cutting every two weeks about three acres. I plan to cut the other/flatter section with the Toro. It has been a great mower for me and will cut pretty fast. I just don't want to kill it over slightly rougher terrain.

Wasting your time if your gonna bush hog every 2 weeks. Most bush hogs won't cut good enough to even know you have been over it every 2 weeks.

May want to look into a finishing mower if you are going to be cutting that often. We have one of those as well, it is made by Land Pride. It is over 20 years old and have been cutting anywhere from 6-8 acres every year with it all that time.

I've considered getting a finishing mower myself. How tall can you let the grass get before cutting with it?

We use a 25 HP Kubota with a 4 foot land pride hog and cut grass about once a month in the summer. It will take fescue/orchard grass/weeds from 2-3 foot to 3-4 inches and slick it off. We also pull a 5' with it as well, but it does not like the heavy thick stuff. Bush hogs are actually pretty effecient if you get a good quality one with some weight to the blades. I didn't see if anyone asked the question, does your tractor have LIVE pto ? That can make a huge difference as well.

We used land pride and woods brush hogs.