• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on straight drive cases

1tonyj

So I broke the rear output on my 205 this weekend. ...no surprise I knew eventually I was gonna. So it's got me thinking of maybe going to a straight drive. Obviously it's off road only so not worried about full time 4wd...and my case stays in low all the time now anyway.

Just curious If one case is better than the other and any insight or tips from anyone running one....thxs.

We put SCS in several bouncers so far with zero problems. WARFARE is running big HP and the SCS hasn't flinched. The price of a straight drive is also great for the strength. The T400 SCS bolts directly to the trans also which helps keep it shorter over all.

This will fix the 205 rear output if you keep it.
http://www.northwestfab.com/Titan-Series-NP205-HD-Slip-Yoke-Eliminator-Kit_p_2364.html

I'm probably not up to date on the latest straight drives but I was looking at a custom unit that Bobby and the warfare buggy were running. That was over a year ago. It was the most ideal for me since it had a centered rear output with offset front.

Even with all the potential increased problems I could never get away from a auto trans for playing on rocks.

The-Boss said:
This will fix the 205 rear output if you keep it.
http://www.northwestfab.com/Titan-Series-NP205-HD-Slip-Yoke-Eliminator-Kit_p_2364.html

I'm probably not up to date on the latest straight drives but I was looking at a custom unit that Bobby and the warfare buggy were running. That was over a year ago. It was the most ideal for me since it had a centered rear output with offset front.

Even with all the potential increased problems I could never get away from a auto trans for playing on rocks.

Yeah if I keep the 205 I'm definitely putting the titan outputs in it.

Thxs for the info so far fellas

A 205 with never be close to the strength of a SCS case. Just remember that 4 wd is all that you have and if you can live with that ROCK IT.

KyTrash said:
A 205 with never be close to the strength of a SCS case. Just remember that 4 wd is all that you have and if you can live with that ROCK IT.

I've only seen him put it in 2wd once, and that was to dig out some holes for the little jeeps to play in :****:

Re:

Does anyone run a straight drive case in a doubler (with a planetary reduction box in front of it)?

Seems like a compact solution for a trail only rig that might not be a dedicated high horsepower bouncer... of course if that's the case, a stock 205 is usually sufficient and cheap...

On my big rig on 54's I always felt like I was on borrowed time with my doubler. Now a little lighter and over twice the power and a straight drive case it honestly hasn't even crossed my mind about breaking. After I opened it up when I got it I just laughed, shook my head and put it in the rig, never looked back. I went with a profab

Re:

TBItoy said:
Does anyone run a straight drive case in a doubler (with a planetary reduction box in front of it)?

Seems like a compact solution for a trail only rig that might not be a dedicated high horsepower bouncer... of course if that's the case, a stock 205 is usually sufficient and cheap...

I looked at doing this when my behemoth reverse 205 went belly up. SCS was more than willing to make the parts so everything would work, but the cost was close to what I paid for my hero, so I went that route instead