• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on TH350's

mark

I'm want to run a TH350 in my rig vs the TH700 I had picked up for it.

Whats involved in converting a 2wd unit to 4wd? It will be mating to a Klune, so 6-bolt round pattern. Is it worth starting with a 2wd unit or look for the 4wd? I kind of figure whatever tranny I get will be completely gone through, with a full-manual, reverse VB kit etc unless I happen to find one already from a reputable source set-up the way I want.

Since the projects kind of on hold for a little while till I get a couple other things out of the way I have some time to take my time and shop around.

Educate me on what it takes to make a good TH350 for a wheeler!!

If using a 2wd transmission all that is needed is a 4wd output shaft(I have one if need be). Past that, have a competent transmission guy build it with a Trans Go stage 3 full manual shift kit and you will be set. I have a friend that builds proven transmissions for a pretty good deal. PM me if you want his business number.

If you are going to rebuild it anyways get a 2wd unit and buy a 4wd output shaft. 4wd trannys are harder to find so it can be cheaper/easier to get a 2wd tranny and buy the 4wd shaft.

If you don't want to rebuild it then get a 4wd version to start with because the output shaft is the first part to go in and the last part to come out.

Rebuilding them is not hard if you are mechanically inclined. I just finished my first one and it was a fun project. Get a good service manual. And I would not want to attempt it without a solvent tank as well but I'm sure its possible.

I'm into it less than or right around $300 for junkyard tranny, 4wd shaft, B&M Transkit, some bushings and ATF. I still need a torque converter (new one is a good idea) which will be another $100.

I wouldn't waste my time with a 2x version. Get a 4x K case so you won't have to worry about snapping the tailhousing off like you do with the car cases. Support the tail end extremely well especially hanging a case behind the klune. You can get a factory adapter off of a later 700r4 and buy a $120 output shaft from AA and have it ready to go on the cheap. :D

Oh and a x2 on what porter said. Transgo makes a nice setup for a good price.

I wouldn't waste my time with a 2x version.

On a 700r4 neither would I. The junkyard is full of 'K' case 4x4 700r4's.

But the TH350 is older and the 4x versions are getting harder to find. I only paid $45 for the new shaft which to me was easier than hunting down a 4x4 trans and paying a higher price for it.

On a 700r4 neither would I. The junkyard is full of 'K' case 4x4 700r4's.

But the TH350 is older and the 4x versions are getting harder to find. I only paid $45 for the new shaft which to me was easier than hunting down a 4x4 trans and paying a higher price for it.

That higher price comes with the far lowered possibility of having to build another trans though. I've busted a car case and it is a bastid to have to pull it and swap the guts into another case because that tail section is so fawking thin.

Apparently you are right that they are getting harder to find. I sold a guy a good working th350 out of a running driving truck, I told him to bring a case of beer and he could use my tools. He brought me two cases. :redneck:

buy the th350 handbook by ron sessions, it will answer just about any th350 question. i bought it after smokin a tranny and was able to do a performance rebuild using the book