• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on the 3.0

Dusten

I tried to search, but the word toyota brings up a ton of threads, and v6 and 3.0 arent long enough.
I know its prone to HG issues. But that is all i know. is there a mileage concern(motor has 25K on it)
Im looking at a 4runner with a 3.0/5speed/dual tcases, and a d60/14b combo. however, the 3.0 scares me

3.0s are junk. Poor fuel milage, no power hard to work on and rebuilt ones don't seem to last to long.

A guy at work has one, 227k miles. No headgasket issues. But he has a major rear crank seal issue. He had it fixed 4 months ago(new clutch as well) and its puking hard again, already.

Hmmmm, not a Toy guy by all means but I see alot of Toy V-6s come into my shop with 250,000miles + on them still running strong. I have driven both and I would take the 3.0(more power) over the turd 4 cylinder any day of the week. DUH, the 4 cylinder get better gas mileage, BUT the 3.0 will get 18 in the city, and 21 on the freeway not off par with any other V-6. The 3.0 has had head gasket issues that are resolved with new gaskets, like the 4 cylinder doesnt when it gets overheated:rolleyes: , and with needing a T-chain every 100,000 miles both these motors require maintenance. Bottom line more HP/Torque out of the V-6 with less gas mileage, or slightly better gas mileage with less HP/Torque. IMO, you cant go wrong with either, but one is not better than the other. Just telling you what I see on a daily basis running a automotive repair shop. Theres my.02:D

3.slows aren't a good engine IMO but it'll get the job done. Outside of the head gasket issue the timing chain idler bearing likes to go out so you get to learn how to tear the front of the engine off and replace that. If you flop onto the passenger side you need to pull the plugs to get the oil out of the cylinders (don't forget to do that porter :flipoff: ) and #5 plug is a bitch to pull unless you are triple jointed. If you need to replace the valvecover gaskets you get to learn how to pull the upper intake to get the driver side one replaced. The valves are shimmed, they do not have a "normal" threaded adjuster bolt to just turn a bit to set the gap like most engines.

Overall its one of those engines that you'll either have reliable forever or it'll be a turd from day one. I've seen tham at over 300k with nary and issue and i've seen them in the shop monthly with under 100k. If it's a fresh engine it'll probably last a long time depending on who rebuilt it. The engine will last forever in a camry which it was origionaly designed for... :haha:

If I was in the position of deciding on to buy or not to buy the rig I'd probably buy it and start looking for a 3.4 or another engine to swap in. Pull that one and get your money while it's worth something and go bigger better.

Hmmmm, not a Toy guy by all means but I see alot of Toy V-6s come into my shop with 250,000miles + on them still running strong. I have driven both and I would take the 3.0(more power) over the turd 4 cylinder any day of the week. DUH, the 4 cylinder get better gas mileage, BUT the 3.0 will get 18 in the city, and 21 on the freeway not off par with any other V-6. The 3.0 has had head gasket issues that are resolved with new gaskets, like the 4 cylinder doesnt when it gets overheated:rolleyes: , and with needing a T-chain every 100,000 miles both these motors require maintenance. Bottom line more HP/Torque out of the V-6 with less gas mileage, or slightly better gas mileage with less HP/Torque. IMO, you cant go wrong with either, but one is not better than the other. Just telling you what I see on a daily basis running a automotive repair shop. Theres my.02:D

3.slows aren't a good engine IMO but it'll get the job done. Outside of the head gasket issue the timing chain idler bearing likes to go out so you get to learn how to tear the front of the engine off and replace that. If you flop onto the passenger side you need to pull the plugs to get the oil out of the cylinders (don't forget to do that porter :flipoff: ) and #5 plug is a bitch to pull unless you are triple jointed. If you need to replace the valvecover gaskets you get to learn how to pull the upper intake to get the driver side one replaced. The valves are shimmed, they do not have a "normal" threaded adjuster bolt to just turn a bit to set the gap like most engines.

Overall its one of those engines that you'll either have reliable forever or it'll be a turd from day one. I've seen tham at over 300k with nary and issue and i've seen them in the shop monthly with under 100k. If it's a fresh engine it'll probably last a long time depending on who rebuilt it. The engine will last forever in a camry which it was origionaly designed for... :haha:

If I was in the position of deciding on to buy or not to buy the rig I'd probably buy it and start looking for a 3.4 or another engine to swap in. Pull that one and get your money while it's worth something and go bigger better.

these two posts are the best info in this thread. I have owned more 3.0s than most on here and this is right on the money. I hated rolling my wheeler(took 4ever to flush allthe oil out of the topend), thats the only reason I went v8. the 4 was not an option for me(TURD). my girlf runner is a 3.0 and has 328,000 miles on it and it runs great.

ANY ALUMINUM HEAD ENGINE SUCKS WITH NO COOLING SYSTEM MAINTANENCE. YES EVEN YOUR GREAT 22RE SUCKS TOO.:beer:

Your right you don't know much about toyotas. I'd be willing to bet most of the one's you see with 250,000 on them are on their 2nd or 3rd. engine and thats why the 4Runners are worth nothing. I'v owned about a dozon toys with 3.0s The best one's are 88-89 Take a look on craigslist and see how many 4Runners there are with good 3.0s compaired to one's with bad engines.:D

The 3.0's are notorious for their various problems... head gaskets, burnt valves, leaky valve cover gaskets, etc. I'm sure mike thompson will chime in sooner or later... he works on these specific motors a lot over here in Wenatchee and has probably seen it all when it comes to 3.0's.

My advice: don't let it stop you from buying it if you like everything else about the rig. The 3.0 is not a horrible motor, they just have their issues, and if you deal with them properly it should be reliable. If the 3.0 blows up down the road and you decide it's not worth fixing it, swap in a 3.4 out of a newer taco... good, solid motor, bolts up to the 3.0 bell housing. A 22re swap in place would be more work for less results, IMO.

Ive got 155k on mine, ive done oil changed religislouly, and other maintance items buy the book or better. it does have downey headers on it, but other than that its bone stock. so it it dosent leak a drop of oil and seems to run good, and have okay power.
when it does blow, ill definitly be looking at a toy v8 or a 3.4 sawp. would like to keep it all toy running gear.
truck20095.jpg

yeah im a pic whore:D

I'm new to the Toyota thing and this info is helpful...

At least you're getting away from the Ford...:redneck:

So, the timing chain is an issue on both the 22re and the 3.0???

Your right you don't know much about toyotas. I'd be willing to bet most of the one's you see with 250,000 on them are on their 2nd or 3rd. engine and thats why the 4Runners are worth nothing.
3 guys in my shop have ALL got more than 250,000 on theirs and they are the origional owners. Not to mention, 4 other buddys that are close to 300,000 you are right I dont know squat about these motors:; . What it boils down to is maintanence, the ones that go bad early are abused and not kept up. Just telling you like I see it as I have been in business for 14 years now, with an avg of 40 cars a week that pass thru my shop. Take my advise for whats its worth, just telling you what I see day in and day out.:awesomework:

The 3.0's are notorious for their various problems... head gaskets, burnt valves, leaky valve cover gaskets, etc.
All the things you bring up in this post are things that happen to ALL motors regardless of who manufactures it(Dodge,GM,Ford,etc). At some point in time every aluminum headed motor blows a head gasket,has oil leaks, etc,etc.etc. Sure a 22RE is easier to work on, but still has the same flaws.:D

:awesomework: i agree with whitey / the worst that will happen with it is the bottom end will blow out the bottom as well as head gasket issues....