• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Selectable Locker Decision

RUBIPENN

I was wondering what kind of opinions you guys had on selectable lockers... I've blown 2 rear lockers now in my LJ Rubicon, first it was the stock locker, & replaced it with a Detroit and now it's gone...... I drive this thing on the street, interstate, off-road ... basically everywhere and was never too crazy about the detroit characteristics... works great offroad, but on the steet..... another story especially in tight turns and unloading on you going down the highway with no warning....jerking the whole jeep!

So, now that it's dead I'm thinking about puting in a selectable locker again. The first two that come to mind are the OX & ARB. Don't think I can go wrong with ARB but their price + a small compressor is up there in cost not that the OX is far behind. Just wondering what some of your thoughts were/experiences with them or other options...? Maybe some of you vendors can make a good price on one too thumb.gif

Buddy of mine has a OX in his front 44 under a YJ and he never has gotten it to work right?

Go with the ARB and a power tank? Heck P's Dad set up a CO2 tank for a home brew traction device he had and no more gas that you would use to engage it I think it would last a long time :dunno:

Been running ARB's since 1994 - as a matter of fact I am still using the original ARB compressor I bought then.

I saw Fred P. from Clemson Offroad trash 2 ARB's in Moab really easy, I ran a OX in my old Jeep with no problems at all. They are designed to take a lot more of a shock load .

37's on a heavy Jeep = big boy axles; knock the training wheels off and step up. Any D44 in the back with 37's, deep low range, and some fat on her is going to explode.

thanks for the input. I've always wondered if there were any issues with air lines or cables rubbing raw and messing up... or a tree limb snatching off the hose/cable. How robust are the cables/hoses?

B Gillespie said:
37's on a heavy Jeep = big boy axles; knock the training wheels off and step up. Any D44 in the back with 37's, deep low range, and some fat on her is going to explode.

yea, you make a good point.... I've thought about that alot.......... i've actually broken everything back there several times..... 1 R&P, 3 chromo shafts, 2 lockers :dunno:
it's been one big chain reaction everytime....

B Gillespie said:

This...

I'd like to put fr/rr 60's full widths & 40's under my LJ (one day I prob. will), but just bought some for my CJ buggy.... can't build 4 complete axles at the same time + making them work in my LJ... way tooo much time which I don't have any of right now.
Just need to get my LJ goin again & eventually finish my CJ to beat on and not my LJ anymore.

Seriously considering the ARB. You guys that have them, what kind of set up do you run... axle type... tire size... etc.?

I ran one in the rear and later front of a Toyota 8", currently running an ARB in my 60 front.

You aren't ripping your brake lines off every time you go out are you? Why would you be ripping the ARB line off? I have never lost a line in the last 15+ years of running ARB's.

Just seeing if anyone had any issues with how robust the lines/cables were.....you never know....

found out the R&P went too with the detroit...pretty surprised the R&P went....it hasn't been in there 4 months since it got cryo'treated from longfields.... :woot:. the chromo shafts made it though. Replaced all of it.
I went with a Grizzly locker, heard some good things about them and they were actually stronger than a detroit, but pretty soon the fr/rr axles will be for sale... I've got other plans. Found a deal on some power wagon axles with 4.88.... that should fix it.

that's crazy.... guess mopar really know how to put out some shitty lockers.... my factory locker didn't last no time either........

these axles I'm looking at are out of an '07.... what did you replace the locker with?

At that time it had 11,000 miles; another Mopar unit. Chrysler repurchased the vehicle at ~20,000 miles.

found out their actually out of a regular '07 dodge 2500. The rear has a LSD & 4.88.