• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

setting up gears

Orangecrush87

so ive heard that the numbers they put on the heads of new pinions, is a code for how many shims to use on the pinion shaft to get ya in the ball park? anyone mind telling me the know how, so it doesnt take me another like 6 hours of guessing and tearring my third apart multiple times till i get it right?

thanks in advance on confirming it or telling me im a goober and i heard wrong

in my ol school book it has this chart that tells you what shims to use. its like if the old pinon has +.2 and the new pinon has -.1 then change the shim pack by this ____ amount. when the numbers are present on old and new pinon its works first time perfect everytime. :D

thats why i hate yukon and most other aftermarket gears. the little QC things like that are no longer present.:booo:

if you quote me the numbers i can look it up in the book and tell ya what it says to do.

What Hip said. For Dana axles it's a reference from zero + or -. Most aftermarket gears don't have a reference so in that case I always use the same amount of pinion depth shims that came with the old gears as a starting point.
For pinion preload and ring gear backlash shims there's no cheating.:beer:

10-25-0

is the numbers on the face head of the pinion

oh and it is a toyota set up its my 529s its a 4 cylinder ifs housing to if that makes a difference with gears from trail-gear

Last edited:
those are not the numbers we need for set up.

Quote,"difference with gears from trail-gear" end quote

sorry as said earlier most gears now days are not of the same quality as real american ol school crafted gears.

looks like manufacturing date and batch number.

The number is only done with an engraver on the head of the pinion:awesomework:

Those numbers sound like the stamped ones.

on a quality gear set , if you start with the same thickness as came out , you will usualy be within .005 of perfect.
with trail gear.... well.... try it, hope for the best, prepair for the worst. your gear pattern will tell ya what way to go.
if the old berrings are good, hone them and make setup bearings out of them, makes life easyer.... worst case , shuldnt take mucj more than an hour with setup bearings.

Many gearsets are not marked + or -, they are just marked with the new checking distance, i.e. 3.063", which would be +.003" from the nominal 3.060".

FYI I recently set up two sets of TG gears and they set up VERY easily. No idea how strong thet actually are, but set up was way easier than the yukons i have done.

can anybody tell me what the numbers marked on my tg 5.29s are?
engraved on ring gear: 10-111 0.15 or possibly 6.15

engraved on head of pinion: 101.65 and under that, 10-111

I also bought the master install kit and the solid pinion spacer with my gears, and not to highjack the thread, but but what all should I know about doing these thignss?

dont put the spacer in till last from what i hear cause it only crushes once and you need like 350 to 400 pounds to crush it properly from what ive read

oh and those sets of numbers were exactly what was engraved on my pinion head also cept mine were 101.60

Last edited:
anyone know who makes trail gears gears? apparently its not yukons like i was thinking it was

why do you say this?
i have read on more then one forum that they are made by yukon just packaged plain for tg..
one guy even said his yukon set,and trail gear set were stamped the same...

ask chop shop aka brad he's good at setting gears

those numbers are worthless on a toyota. There are a few different cases and bearing combos that all can use the same gears.

I dont even know how to explain to him how to set up gears. Its not exactly a "skill level 2" kinda project. Theres way more to it than pattern.

Save yourself a set of gears and have them set up properly. Or keep doing it till you learn something.

those numbers are worthless on a toyota. There are a few different cases and bearing combos that all can use the same gears.

I dont even know how to explain to him how to set up gears. Its not exactly a "skill level 2" kinda project. Theres way more to it than pattern.

Save yourself a set of gears and have them set up properly. Or keep doing it till you learn something.

After doing litterally hunders of gear sets---x2....