• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shipping to Alaska

GRW

My sister and brother inlaw are moving to Alaska and are looking into having their Burb & trailer shipped up vs driving it up.
Anyone one have recommendations, advise?

GRW let me talk to the fishermen i know who fish Alaska, they pack a large barge with thier large supplies and dry goods stuff and sent it up for thier season....? including quads dirtbikes and stuff as there arent any real roads where they fish.:redneck:

When we ship cars to Alaska from the dealership we put them on the Alaska Ferry that leaves Fairhaven. It's not that expensive.

When my buddy Jon passed away up in alaska I know it wasn't cheap to ship his truck back here...

dont have it shipped, just take the ferry. It'll be cheaper than the gas and much cheaper than shipping it and flying.

dont have it shipped, just take the ferry. It'll be cheaper than the gas and much cheaper than shipping it and flying.

I looked at taking the ferry to anchorage with my cummins extra cab (not crew/mega cab) truck and it was over 2300.

I can drive it for 800 in diesel at 15 mpg.

I didnt shop around and I used random dates to get a quote, maybe a cheaper outfit is around but I dont think one is gonna be less than 800 when that one was 2300.

????????

I curious to hear form others that have had theirs ferried and how much it was? :corn:

I looked at taking the ferry to anchorage with my cummins extra cab (not crew/mega cab) truck and it was over 2300.

I can drive it for 800 in diesel at 15 mpg.

I didnt shop around and I used random dates to get a quote, maybe a cheaper outfit is around but I dont think one is gonna be less than 800 when that one was 2300.

????????

I curious to hear form others that have had theirs ferried and how much it was? :corn:

My bad, when we just take one rig it was in the $1200 range.. but that was a few years ago. You're right, its about 2000 miles further to drive, but at $5/gallon and 15mpg its still much cheaper to drive.

Looks like I need to add a little more info.
Bro inlaw is older and my sister has had both hips replaced and a shoulder so the drive would be ruff for them. The issues (or possible issue) is they have two dogs going up with them and were told they could only check on the dogs 2-3 times each day during the trip (this is what They were told). I am trying to help them find the best answer. They are looking at flying up (if they can't find a better way) and having the Burb/trailer shipped, flying the dogs with them.
If the information they have about the fairy is wrong cool, but that is what they have been told. The dogs are part of the family.

What about having someone drive it there for them ? There are these drive away companys that do such things as well as fisherman and such that travel back and forth. Possibly a deal could be stuck with a fisherman wanting to cut their transportation costs. Just a thought.