• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shock end conversion

Jeepasaurusrex

Has anyone ever converted a stud end shock to an eye end using a spherical rod end?

I got this set of shocks for free, but have a stud end on one end. I need an eye-eye type shock. My idea is to thread on a internal threaded rod end and convert it over. The end of the shock is threaded 1/2-13. Thoughts?

Shockext0001.jpg

116-102-007.jpg

only down side for that conversion is making the shock a little longer. Another down side is many times using a cheap joint it will start knocking/rattling.

Don't be cheap and get the correct shock and build new upper mount.

Just weld and eye on the end.

Im sure you have plenty of junk shocks to cut a loop off of to use.

Welding on the can end scares folks, but welding on the shaft will be fine.

I would shy away from the rod end cuz it will make the shock ALLOT longer and add leverage.

I would weld and eye right to the top of the round washer/stopper end dealy, just like the mfg would.

Nothing wrong with being cheap, as long as your crafty and able.

The shock is just the right length, that if I add the rod end, it will be the correct length. I'm going to try the rod end and see how it works. If it doesn't work, I'll figure out something else. Eventually I'm going to put Bilsteins on the front....

So your planning on using a $40 rod end to make a shock work.. How much would the right shocks cost?

Since I'm not working at the moment... free shocks are free shocks. A cheap conversion is more money freed up for use on more important things....

If you want to weld on the right loops I have an old set of shocks that I am about to trash that you can cut the loops off of and they even have the bar pins in them if you need them.

I know that, but I thought you took a job a while back doing some kind of welding/manufacturing...

I was only there a week and that was all it took to figure out what kind of business it was. Besides being very dangerous, the management was kind of shady. Not long after I left, one of the owners had embezzled a bunch of money and the employees were not getting paid. They are now shut down completely. :haha: