• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shock oil?

Toddy

Walker Evens says I need 10w shock oil. Looking for alternatives.

What will it do if I use 5w?

What about hyd oil or atf?

First time rebuilding shocks so just looking at my options.

I run FOX shocks and use 10W hydraulic oil. Fox's are built using 5W so the 10w does have a minor effect on valving. You need to use the same weight oil when re valving to stay consistant.

Heavier oil will cause the shock to have more damping / stiffer.

I've used FOX, Bilstein, King "labeled" oils and currently using some 5W Fork Fluid 85-150. You should be able to get it from an ATV/ dirt bike shop.

The "weight" of an oil is actually not a very good measure of the viscosity, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that.

I generally recommend sticking with the factory oil because it's proven to work well with the seals and piston.

If you want something other than Walker Evans oil:
Fox makes the best oil by far, and I would put it in any brand shock.
Amsoil and Redline are good too.
King oil is ok (I used the same oil in Harley Davidson shocks).
ATF was the go to oil back when off-road racing shocks started getting developed.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/iso-grade-oil-d_1207.html

Just need to make sure the oil used matches and won't degrade the type of o-rings in your shocks.

You can get dye to make it any color you wish.

Yes the weight/viscosity will change the amount of force a certain piston and valving combo will create.

Also affects at what speed the bleeds stop working and force all the fluid through the valving.

I don't know if the difference between 5w/7w/10w could be felt in the seat?

Ryan?

mac5005 said:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/iso-grade-oil-d_1207.html

Just need to make sure the oil used matches and won't degrade the type of o-rings in your shocks.

You can get dye to make it any color you wish.

Yes the weight/viscosity will change the amount of force a certain piston and valving combo will create.

Also affects at what speed the bleeds stop working and force all the fluid through the valving.

I don't know if the difference between 5w/7w/10w could be felt in the seat?

Ryan?

In my experience the average guy won't notice a difference in performance due to viscosity of the oil.
That assumes you stay in the "normal range" of viscosities.

Real world, I'd put Fox oil in everything....

How much oil should I need to do 2 regular remote res and 2 of the small res mounted to the shock? This is on a 1k RZR.

Not sure about oil volumes, a gallon is usually enough though.

Toddy said:
Is the Fox Jm92 what I'm after or something else?

Yes, JM92 is pretty much the gold standard in shock oil tech specs.

I haven't tested it on a dyno, but based on specs, it could be better than some synthetic fluids.